Aluminum intake question. - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Aluminum intake question.

I'm considering installing an aftermarket aluminum intake on my 4bbl/283. to improve power and mileage. I would like to find one with the factory oil fill tube to retain a somewhat original look. I would powdercoat it chevy orange of course! thanks

1965 Impala ss 283
Ermine White / Red interior

1970 Chevelle ss L78
Black Cherry / White Stripes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam65 View Post
I'm considering installing an aftermarket aluminum intake on my 4bbl/283. to improve power and mileage. I would like to find one with the factory oil fill tube to retain a somewhat original look. I would powdercoat it chevy orange of course! thanks

Not only are manifolds with oil fill tubes rare nowadays; even finding a performance manifold with a flat spot on the front of the casting to allow your machine shop to bore a hole in it for an oil tube is getting really hard to find.

I would recommend looking at Offenhauser 360° manifolds since you used the word mileage. Most performance manifolds have port sizes that are going to be bigger than the inlet ports in your Power-Pack heads found on all 283 motors except for the 283 horsepower Rochester fuel injected 283 which introduced the dual camel hump "Fuelie" head (named after the Rochester fuel injection system that required it).

Edelbrock still sells a new intake with an oil fill tube

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ed...Fe5j7AodATwA9Q

As does Offenhauser:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/of...make/chevrolet

You can buy a used manifold for almost if not more than a new manifold on e-Bay or Craig's List. Of course for these pre-tested manifolds that have no moving parts and there fore can not wear out you have to be careful that all of the threaded holes are not stripped, the round holes are not ovaled out to fit a Vortec head or that the manifold has been machined to fit onto a set of machined heads that were cut at an angle to increase static compression. The grime and stains are a bonus!

Big Dave
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam65 View Post

I did this on the 327 in my '57 . I used the Edelbrock Performer EPS manifold, I think p/n 2703, which has the oil fill tube at the front. I painted it Chevy Orange, looks perfect. I also installed an Edelbrock carb #1406, 600CFM w/elect choke. Starts good, runs great, couldn't ask for more. Ck Edelbrock on-line, all the info and pictures are there.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys! I'm seriously considering the 2703 as the hole for the fill tube is already machined, very cool! I'm kind of an originality nut, but exceptions can be made.... I will however need to check into the heat crossover, I DON'T want to block that off, IIRC, they come with a optional block off insert. thanks again for helping answer my question.

1965 Impala ss 283

1970 Chevelle ss L78
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 01:57 PM

Unless you are driving in the winter you won't need the heat cross-over. It is only useful upon start-up to keep the vapors of gasoline from recondensing back into liquid gasoline that will not burn (liquid gasoline will extinguish a fire: I just don't recommend throwing a five gallon pail of liquid gasoline on a bonfire in an attempt to put it out).

No performance head or intake even has a heat cross-over cast into the part as you don't need it for performance operation. If you are worried about effecting gas mileage it has no affect good or bad either way (with it theoretically harming mileage by leaning the mixture more than your carb adjustment provides if tuned off the car). You can think of it as being no more than part of the carburetor's choke system to get the car running on a cold day and good for nothing else.

Big Dave
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

thanks Big Dave, I "heard" at some point that blocking it off can create an excessive build up of carbon on the valves and combustion chamber, any thoughts?

1965 Impala ss 283

1970 Chevelle ss L78
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 04:59 PM

Nope has nothing to do with carbon build up. That is caused by running rich; a carburetor adjustment.

Big Dave
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

works for me! I know it's not running too rich at idle, after I rebuilt the carburetor this past summer, I was able to achieve 16-18 hg / vacuum @ idle using a vacuum gauge hooked up to the full manifold vacuum port on the carburetor. It doesn't stink at cruise speed either

1965 Impala ss 283

1970 Chevelle ss L78
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 09:02 PM

Good to know. Sounds like you have it under control.

Actually most carbon build up on valves is caused by worn valve guides and missing oil slingers resulting in burning oil. That can be cured with a valve job (better described as a head remanufacture since you really should replace the guides rather than just ream them as most do) and a set of Perfect Circle Teflon oil seals on the heads (requires cutting down the top of the guide to mount the seal). The other way that Chevys burn oil is bad ring seal but that is a sign of a rebuild in your future.

But you will notice it doesn't involve the heat cross-over in ant way.

Big Dave
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Dave, A fellow site member has offered to sell his Edelbrock 2101 in very nice condition.It has the oil fill tube installed but has a twist on cap for oil fill. My original intake has a push on breather cap on the oil fill tube which I need for my PCV system. I also need to reuse mine because of the throttle return spring bracket
Can I swap my stock steel tube onto the Edelbrock 2101? Will it fit properly?

thanks!

1965 Impala ss 283

1970 Chevelle ss L78
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 07:57 PM

Yes it will if your tube hasn't been beaten too far into the hole. Driving it in will tighten the grip, but it is reducing the pipes outside diameter in the process as the hole in the manifold is slightly tapered, not straight. You can find brand new reproduction oil fill pipes on Corvette restoration parts house web page. They are generally chromed but also available in the factory oiled raw steel finish.

The screw on cap is a newer version; as with the introduction of accessory holes in the heads and valve covers with the PCV installed without a breather on the oil tube in 1968 (the breather was moved to inside the air cleaner and routed by rubber hose to the valve cover opposite the PCV). The 1968 car had everything to move the accessories closer to the engine to reduce warranty claims for rotated or slung belts which caused other warranty claims. ("I didn't know the temp light meant the motor was hot. It comes all the time when I start the car". Or the equally popular "It stopped steering, so I tried to pull off the road when I hit the other car. You should pay to have my car fixed, it's not my fault!".)

Big Dave
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

you are a wealth of knowledge my man

1965 Impala ss 283

1970 Chevelle ss L78
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page