HEI Coil Wires Burning - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

HEI Coil Wires Burning

I have an HEI distributor in my 66 396 and I'm getting the coil wires burnt where the come out of the actual coil. What's causing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 08:56 PM

Did you install the carbon pill that connects the distributor to the coil (or the yellow bronze pill if you are using high performance ignition parts that would prevent you from hearing a radio played in your car). There has to be some physical connection between the distributor button and the coil or else the energy will simply arc from the coil to the distributor button burning up your HEI cap.

I know from experience that these little pills will fall out taking the silicon rubber retainer with it, if roughly examined (such as passing it around to your friends in the garage saying look at my cool new part that will make a bazillion horsepower when I'm finished).

I used to use only the brass part in a whole bunch of earlier builds of my hot rods, but after a while I just tried the carbon one out to see how it worked, and I didn't observe any difference in spark voltage or amperage. The carbon doesn't last as long, but I have a bunch of them from not having used them in the past and since I never throw anything away they were all still sitting in my electrical small parts drawer.

The up side is I can now hear my NPR or BBC news broadcasts when cruising instead of a lot of static (I still get static because I don't use resister plugs and I use metal core wires instead of the suppression spark plug wires.

Big Dave
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

I think the problem was that L shaped metal grounding piece that sits in the cap under the coil was not there. I remedied and time will tell if Im still burning wires but Im thinking that was probably it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page