Camel hump heads for a 283 - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Camel hump heads for a 283

Hello, has anyone put camel hump heads (2.02) on a 283? I have a 67 Impala. If so do you have any suggestions, do's or don'ts? Is it worth it? Thank you so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2archers View Post
Hello, has anyone put camel hump heads (2.02) on a 283? I have a 67 Impala. If so do you have any suggestions, do's or don'ts? Is it worth it? Thank you so much!
Yes! Chevrolet did this in 1957. The Rochester mechanical fuel injection option was first offered on the 283 cubic inch rated at 283 horsepower. This was the first engine to offer one horsepower per cubic inch. This is why the double hump, or camel hump heads are called fuelie heads.

Today we expect 1.5 horsepower per cubic inch out of the small block; so we have become spoiled in that regard. We expect this because we have learned a few things about the small block since 1957; which are all expressed in the new head castings offered today.

For instance your much sought after exotic camel hump heads are what will limit you to one horse per cube, assuming you can even reach that goal. If instead you bolted on stock 1996-'01 pick-up truck heads onto your 283 you would gain an additional forty horsepower over the old fuelie heads because though the ports are smaller and it uses smaller valves it still flows better. Add on a set of aluminum aftermarket heads with the same raised narrow ports, with bigger valves and an even newer combustion chamber that is offered on the newest generation of small block (one that is heart shaped instead of the pent roof wedge shape first introduced in 1955), and you begin to meet your 1.5 horse per cubic inch while still burning pump gas. The old 283 horse 283 had 12.5 to one pistons and required premium fuel back then (what we call racing gas today)

By the way I deleted your duplicate post in the engine thread, as you can have only one open thread at a time asking the same question.

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 11:48 AM

The newer vortex heads were made for today's fuels and deliver more HP. The old fuelie heads were the best, in their time.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 12:05 PM

Be careful & do some more research. I think I remember reading in quite a few older posts and magazine articles that because of the 283's small bore you CANNOT use the larger 2.02-1.60 valves. The largest intake dia is 1.94.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sz0k30 View Post
Be careful & do some more research. I think I remember reading in quite a few older posts and magazine articles that because of the 283's small bore you CANNOT use the larger 2.02-1.60 valves. The largest intake dia is 1.94.
The 283 is cavernous compared to the 305 which is where the valves are shrouded by the cylinder walls; or a 2.02 valve will actually hit the block with the tiny 3.67" bores of the 262 SBC V-8.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page