re: Powerglide 2 speed - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Post re: Powerglide 2 speed

Assuming a PG is running good, will it make a long 3 hour trip of freeway driving ok?, say at the speed limit 65 mph? I've heard both that these transmissions are for around town, and others say the as long as the shifting is adjusted freeway driving is ok, does anyone have actual mileage run on the freeway with a PG? and what are your recommendations?

Thank you, Nacho65SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 12:05 PM

If it is in high gear, it is locked up at one to one so it doesn't make any difference to the tranny how fast you are going. This is because as far as it is concerned, it is all done shifting, and is just along for the ride.

If you suspect your PowerGlide is unreliable the time to change it is before you are left stranded on the side of the road. Across town or just down the street the wrecker is going to charge you the same fee to hook up no mater where you break down. It is like a taxi ride the biggest hit is in hailing the cab not in the mileage (which has gotten very expensive lately).

I have been a member of AAA for decades because not all of my hot rods are as reliable first time out as they should be (I make mistakes like any one else). In addition to maps (which has lost a lot of its appeal since Google allows you to print your own Trip-Tick) I have a 100 mile bonus tow so the hook up and the mileage is now pre-paid. I also added my RV to the package after I broke down once with my brand new store bought truck and discovered they would cheerfully tow my truck back to the Chevy dealership of my choice, but the trailer I was pulling at the time had to stay where it was on the side of the road, as that wasn't covered under the agreement. With RV coverage they take everything, truck and what ever it is towing, any where you want. And by the way that includes my actual Winnebago motor home that requires a semi to move.

First time that The Winnie breaks down I will have paid for my AAA membership for about five years on that one call.

Much rather have a AAA wrecker that is inspected and insured to be sure it has all of the equipment needed to safely tow your vehicle than have Joe's Garage and Salvage show up with a 1987 three quarter ton truck with a hand made steel boom attached to the floor board and a winch off a 4x4 to lift your car by the bumper on a single hook. Just imagine the damage as it sways on the end of the hook ramming into the back of his "Wrecker" on every stop.

Just a thought.

Big Dave

Last edited by Big Dave; 04-24-2014 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Left out a few verbs
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

as always thank you Dave. Good points on the fall back plan...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 03:05 AM

Our '67, with Powerglide behind a 283 went round trip to Florida every February, from 1972-1975 without issues. I was young, but imagine Dad probably rolled at the posted speed limits plus 5-10 mph.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Dug...what a fond memory that must be for you...I want to make some memories of my own and thats why I want my 65 SS to hit the long road, the more windshield time the better, plus I want to share it with the whole California Coastal community, give them a glance at the American glory years, thanks for your reply.

Attached is a current picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01616.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	6154  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 08:58 AM

We live outside Dayton , Ohio. 2 years ago we took our 65 Impala convertible to the Turkey Run in Daytona Florida. Then on down to Lake Okeechobee for a few days. We visited Tampa and back up to Gatlinburg Tenn. before heading back home to Ohio. Best trip we ever had. By the way, the cars a 396 with a powerglide.
Daytona beach!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkey  Run Vacation 097.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	6162  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 07:31 AM

Powerglides were always good for over a 100,000 miles.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 04:26 PM

When I went on vacations with my parents, our chevelle took the family thousands of miles with it's stock PG! Check your insurance for coverage on long(er) trips , too. Some of the specialty carriers don't support either regular use or long 'vacation' trips. Be safe.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 06:37 PM

That would put Hod Rods Power Tour out of business.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 02:00 PM

There's a thread on another site about this very topic. Some posted that the specialty carriers will allow Power Tour but not the long pleasure drives. As usual, best to verify.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 03:21 PM

I put a lot of miles on my '64 with 283 and powerglide back in the 80's at extra-legal speeds on the freeway, when I was a bit younger and 'immortal'. Actually, I still do that with the '64 but it sports a 700r4 these days to keep the noise down. But I made long trips with it at freeway speeds as well as mountain driving to go camping (Kings Canyon in California was no problem). Going up steep grades is bound to be harder on it than flat high speeds.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
powerglide, transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page