Cam selection - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Cam selection

I have a bunch of spare parts I'd like to put together. 3970010 350 block, 1972 1.94" intake valve heads, 9.3:1 pistons, 1968 Corvette QJ intake, and a 7029207 (1969 350/350 Corvette) carb. I'll back it up with a Thm-350 and probably a 3.08 rear axle. I'll stuff it in a ~77 Impala or Chevelle, for summer time daily driving.

The cam I have on the shelf new is the Speed Pro CS-1013R, which gives .443" lift intake and .465" lift exhaust. Duration is 214 Intake and 224 Exhaust. Has anyone run this camshaft? If so, how did it work? Will it work well with the above mentioned parts?

Thanks in advance!

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 09:04 PM

Cam is moderate. Duration will result in a noticeable idle but not adversely effect the bottom end performance of a 350 cid motor. 1972 heads have a 74cc combustion chamber as that was the first year smog heads where introduced. With flat top pistons you are going to get about 9.2:1 static compression and the cam will drop that to around 8.7:1 so gas shouldn't be a problem.

Problem with old cams is they are generally a flat tappet cam and modern motor oils are hard on flat tappet cams whether you are breaking in a new cam or maintaining your old one in your stock motor. If that cam is used and not new then the old lifter have to go back onto the cam lobe they came off of as they wear into each other during break in. If you do not put them back then there will be excessive wear as they attempt to relap the fit. Most old rusty used cams flatten a lobe during this process.

Lift is close to stock (a bit above) but your stock springs shouldn't have any problem with these lobes. If this is a new cam that has been gathering dust, be sure to follow the break in instructions.

Do not loose the lifter's shipping cardboard box as it can be reused later. I like to mark 1-8 Intake then 1-8 exhaust on each side of the box before it gets all oily from pulling lifters out. It also helps to write down the grind number as seen on the cam and the specs so that a few years from now when you pull the cam and store it you will have that info to make a decision. If they are hydraulic I like to soak them in a plastic paint pail filled with the motor oil you are going to use. This allows the air to escape as oil seeps into the lifter.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 09:42 PM
BA.

I agree with Dave. That cam is mild but should give a noticeable rumble, and it's a fair match for the other parts. It might be interesting for you to do some double checking on actual head milling in the past, or needed now and verify the chamber cc which Dave mentioned should be about 74cc. Ditto the block, check the deck for straightness and see if it's been milled at all as both of those actions could affect your final compression ratio. (and I think, for the better!)
All in all - the parts look to be a fair match.

Depending upon how much fun you're looking to have, I have some reservations about the 3.08 gear and th-350 in a heavy car. Would be nice if you could go with a little better gear, or, sell the th350 and find a 700R4. Boom - gearing *and* mileage!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

Appreciate the input. I was hoping to go with a stock style converter, but do have a Coan higher stall converter if I need it with the 3.08. Last time I ran the slippy converter I saw that it wasn't exactly conducive to fuel economy when doing a lot of city driving.

I ran a Crane cam previously in a 327 with .454" lift intake and exhaust with 216 deg duration at .050" lift, IIRC. That needed the converter. But, it sure was a lot of fun! I'm hoping the 350 will give me the best of both worlds with this cam. The stock Corvette intake should keep the port velocity up where it needs to be.

I do have reservations regarding the flat tappet cams and today's oils, but have some good old timey break in lube.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page