I have a built 13.1cr bbc445 in my 64 impala
and i want long tube headers on it cause it is
a street strip car that i want alot of power out of

im having problems getting headers for a 64 w bbc in it
can anyone help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 07:24 PM

I would go with full competition headers (equal length long tube large diameter primaries, with no exhaust flange) and weld them up once you get them adjusted to your liking. I would then have them removed a exhaust flange welded up for use of mufflers, and then thermal coated as they are very thin and won't last long on the road otherwise.

Big Dave
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 09:42 PM
BA.

One shot might be Lemons headers. Sorry I don't have their ph. # handy but they've been around a long long time doing quality work. Big name in custom headers. I'm sure even Big Dave's heard of them.

Not sure where you've looked but some of the more popular names don't always list everything they have. It would be worth a phone call direct to them just to check.
(eg. Hedman, Hooker, Kooks, Stainless Works, etc)

I think 'Headers by Ed' sells nice 'kits' that have enough pieces to let you tack-weld a set together, then you take them off and get them fully welded.

Good Luck!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 02:17 PM

Word to the wise: be careful with Hedman- I got a pair for 67 Camaro Show Rod and they hung way below the frame rails and weren't tuned length. I ended up having my 25 year old Cyclones coated since they were tuned length and fit sooo much better. One would think a company as big as Hedman would build a better header with the reverse engineering technology available today.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 02:29 PM

Unless you are running competition headers they are rarely equal length as the benifits of an equal length header go away when you bolt on a muffler.

Big Dave

Last edited by Big Dave; 12-12-2008 at 04:46 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 04:40 PM

My comments were more about the poor ground clearance offered with the Hedman's. No way of knowing this until after you buy them. The Cyclones tucked up above the frame rails, and had tubes more equal, how's that? The Hedmans hung down very low and were poorly engineered. There was at least 2" of clearance from the head pipes to the crossmember. No reason for that. I was seriously disgusted with the Hedmans- they weren't even bent correctly and I later found they hit my steering box and didn't allow the flange to sit square on the head. I drove the car around the block and the first time I cracked it open the gasket blew out and the 800° gases seered my valve cover, plug wires and melted my temp sender wire. I told Summit to eat the things. What a hassle. My car sat on jacks for another 3 weeks while my old headers were blasted, welded and HPC coated.

Another thing to consider when buying headers is find a set with separate flanges for each tube where it bolts to the head. This makes it easier to bolt them on. Hedman uses one solid flange. bad for mounting and bad for spark plug clearance. Hedman Hedders SUCK!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clearanceSML.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	302  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 04:57 PM

Well Scott we don't like to engage in vendor bashing. Everyone has their own opinion of good and bad. Headman sells more than one style or type of header for that matter and your car might not be sitting at stock ride height as determined by the Fisher Body manual (did you know some folks actually lower their cars? It reduces ground clearance for no good reason).

Big Dave
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info guys i think i will just call the dealer themselves and like you suggested and see what they have
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

one other quick question ive also been told i would maybe have to swap over to a hydraulic cluch because the headers run right where the clucks linkage and stuff sits now ? anyone heard or ran into a problem? theres headers on the 327 thats in it now an i understand that the primaries will be alot bigger
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 12:41 PM

The cross-shaft (Z-bar) on the big Impala is the same from big block to small block as the motor is not moved around in the engine bay to make room for things like a steering box like it is on the smaller cars. The headers should clear if the foot note states it will work with a manual transmission.

Big Dave
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 03:50 PM
BA.

Tsmall114, I don't know who would have told you that you'd need the hydraulic clutch set up but that's just ridiculous.

Yeah the primary pipes are bigger, they'll be about 2" each instead of what you have on the 327 now but you'll be able to keep that regular ol' clutch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page