Widest tire / bolt in 9" ford for 66 impala? - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

Widest tire / bolt in 9" ford for 66 impala?

New to this forum. Looking to see if there are any companies that make a bolt in 9" Ford for a 66 Impala? Also, what is the widest wheel and tire combo that can fit without modifying wheel wells or frame? My best measurements are for 15x10 with 5" backspace and a 29.5x11.5 tire. Has anyone done this successfully? This is for a wicked little sleeper see pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMPALA10071.jpg
Views:	6825
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	304   Click image for larger version

Name:	427IMPALA1.jpg
Views:	6626
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	305  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 10:12 AM

Currie will make you a nine inch rear if you insist upon having one. A Dana 60 which they will also custom make for your car is cheaper, stronger, lighter and doesn't waste your precious horse power. (all nine inch design rear ends have 4% more parasitic drag (frictional looses) than the Spicer-Dana design used by GM and Chrysler). Moser will also add a GM 12 bolt to the mix which once again is stronger and lighter by far than a nine inch. It will be a couple of hundred more than a nine inch but it "Belongs" under your Impala. Strange can also sell you a 12 bolt or a Dana or a nine inch but they are definitely getting into the racing end of things with everything being finely machined (lightened and gun drilled) which adds a bunch to the price that no one will ever notice.

I sent you a PM on a couple of old car mag articles outling what you want to do.

Big Dave
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

I know a 12 bolt should be under this car but, I have a drag car with a Ford 9" in it with multiple center sections already built so the cost savings would already be big for me. All I really need is a housing to bolt in and I'm ready to go. I don't want to tub or mini-tub this car because the floors are solid in it and it would be a shame cutting this car up. Anything I can do to bolt things up and still save the original parts is what I'm looking to do. I guess I'm looking at getting a housing custom built for my car????

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 08:20 PM

Yes Currie can build one for you. (They specialize in off road truck stuff and will work with you to fab a housing up that uses your traing arms and coil springs).

Big Dave
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 11:05 AM
BA.

Dave, I have to disagree that a 12 bolt is stronger than a 9" Ford rear-end. Not sure if that's what you meant to put, but the 9" is most definitely stronger, and it's easier to work with as well.

Anyhoo, I'm with you that I'd RATHER see a 12 Bolt under the big Chevy. The 12 Bolt is a great rear-end and suitable for all but the most demanding drag-racers.

FWIW to ya Bossman, I like Currie and Moser as well. Long ago I bought a Currie 9" for my 69 Camaro RS. They're both good companies.
Sorry but I'm not sure how big of a tire/rim combo you can put under there I'd *guess* that the 15x10 and a P285 or P295 is about it and of course, each car will vary a little. You may want to roll the lip on the wheelwell/quarterpanel as well.

Oh, Bossman, that's a great looking '66 you got there!!!! Love it! Hope my Ebay '66 turns out looking that good.
Great looking and well detailed motor too. Does that air-cleaner say 427? If it does, that's a monster small-block, I'm jealous.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the compliments BA. and yes that does say "427" on the air cleaner. The motor makes a ton of power but never enough for me! The big cubic inch really moves the "two tons of fun". The next motor I'm trying to build for it is a 421 SBC with 14 degree Pro Action heads should be closer to 800HP N/A. There should be some other pics of the car on my website
http://www.smithbergracing.com just go to the photobucket link on the "SRE Race Cars" page.

The reason I'm looking at a 9" Ford is because my Drag Car (70 Nova) is already set up with a 9" and I have a bunch of center sections built for it so I would be able to swap them between the two cars and keep costs down. I do agree a 12 bolt would be true to GM but not for this particular situation for me. I did contact DTS about building a custom housing for me with 35 spline axles with the 5/8 wheel stud upgrade for close to $1600.

I have an extra set of Bogart wheels that are 15x10 and i was think of running a 295 or bigger (if possible) but was looking to see if somebody already has figured it out???? Let me know if anyone knows what will fit.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 08:55 PM

i have a 12 bolt in my 65' w/ 29x9 w/airbags and i almost needed a shoe horn. but it works
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Can somebody tell me what the rear end width is on a 66 Impala. looking for the axle flange to axle flange distance. Is it 60" , 62" 62.5"?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 08:55 PM

My measurements come out to be about 63 3/8" from the outer most edge of the axle flanges (the surface that rims would contact)

1966 Caprice project
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 09:04 PM

Are there any standard factory 9" rears out of Ford trucks or cars that are the right width, making for a cheap transplant? If you could get a stock rear, pay to have it mounted, put a spool in, that would make a nice rear end for cheap.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 09:54 PM

Not sure about the widths of 9" fords but that isnt even where the major cost is. The big money is in fabbing and welding in custom control arm mounts on the housings. If B-Bodies were leaf sprung then it would be cheap but the factory 4 link style suspension is not cheap to copy onto a Ford 9" rear. Your better off finding a 12 bolt that bolts in.

1966 Caprice project
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 10:16 PM

Thats a shame! I found a Torino rear with posi for $250!

Do you know if the 71-73 Impala 8.5" corporate 10 bolts bolt into any of the earlier Impalas? I have heard many times the 8.5" rears are as good as the 12 bolts. I did up the 8.5" in my Nova with spool, Motive gear, bearings, 33 spline axles and c-clip eliminators for $900....maybe that would be worth doing on an 8.5" for the Impala...Im afraid a 12 bolt is going to be another $1000 on top of that....an 8.5" can be had for under $200. Hard to do this stuff cheap!!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 12:31 AM

I would say its a no go on the 8.5 also. Look around I got 2-12 bolts one from a 65 for $200 and one from a 69 for $175. These were complete drum to drum.You have to look hard and be willing to make a drive to get them though.

What year Impala is it you're working on?

1966 Caprice project
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 04:41 PM

That sounds good! I'll start looking around then. Im working on a 69.

69 Impala 4 door--- LQ4 and four speed going in right now
69 Impala 2 door
73 Nova --- single turbo 454
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 08:02 PM

Getting back to the second part of your question, I think 15X10's even with a 5" back space will be really pushing it. I can fit 15X8 rallye wheels with a 4" back space, p275/60r15 tires without any drama on my '69. I would plan on an adjustable panhard bar to move the housing from side to side, as it's most likely off center as it sits right now, if I were going any bigger.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 09:04 AM

To know what will fit inside your wheel well you will have to measure what you have. You can you this a yard stick and a tape measure and plumb bob and a little math or you can buy a tool for about $70 bucks that will tell you in a instant what will work and what won't before you pay to have a tire mounted.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PHP-01201/#

Considering how much wheels and tires cost and how much your suspension has sagged over the decades it is a no brainier in my opinion. You can not afford not to buy one or make your own out of wood and a coat hanger (but it is hard to figure out the spacing and dimensions before hand to mark up one of your own as I've tried).

Big Dave
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969CustomCoupe View Post
Getting back to the second part of your question, I think 15X10's even with a 5" back space will be really pushing it. I can fit 15X8 rallye wheels with a 4" back space, p275/60r15 tires without any drama on my '69. I would plan on an adjustable panhard bar to move the housing from side to side, as it's most likely off center as it sits right now, if I were going any bigger.
I currently have 275/60R15's in it now with a 15x8 wheel - NOT enough to hook this thing with the power I currently have. I do have some 15x10 (5" BS) with 30x9 slicks that will need some modifying to the frame after the mock up. The coil spring hump on the rear needs cut and a flat stock piece to replace it to make it all work. I already have aftermarket rear control arms and adjustable panhard bar. I plan to put a Ford 9" in it which I will most likely have to fab myself to keep costs down. 63 3/8" sounds close to what I came up (I remember somewhere around 62"-62.5") with but I lost my notes and the car is now in storage for winter. I have come across some new housings to use from this place which is close to me http://www.quickperformance.com/Products/housings.htm and just need to put my Impala brackets on it with the correct width.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 06:54 PM

[QUOTE=BA.;9023]Dave, I have to disagree that a 12 bolt is stronger than a 9" Ford rear-end. Not sure if that's what you meant to put, but the 9" is most definitely stronger, and it's easier to work with as well.

Anyhoo, I'm with you that I'd RATHER see a 12 Bolt under the big Chevy. The 12 Bolt is a great rear-end and suitable for all but the most demanding drag-racers. [quote]

Agree . Can't imagine why he would say that. I would think a decent 12 bolt behind an automatic would be more than sufficient. Esp . with a spool.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

I understand how everyone feels about a Ford part in a Chevy but this is about strength and convenience for me. I have a 70 Nova Drag Car with a 9" in it and have multiple center sections ready to go for street or strip. It is more cost effective for me to do this since I already have alot of money invested in it (from my Nova). I basically need a housing and axles to make this work for way less money than what a 12-bolt will cost to rebuild to my combination. Not to mention to be able to change out centers to cruise around in or a drag gear and spool to go racing with. The fabrication isn't an issue for me and will only cost me time.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSSMAN View Post
I understand how everyone feels about a Ford part in a Chevy but this is about strength and convenience for me. I have a 70 Nova Drag Car with a 9" in it and have multiple center sections ready to go for street or strip. It is more cost effective for me to do this since I already have alot of money invested in it (from my Nova). I basically need a housing and axles to make this work for way less money than what a 12-bolt will cost to rebuild to my combination. Not to mention to be able to change out centers to cruise around in or a drag gear and spool to go racing with. The fabrication isn't an issue for me and will only cost me time.
My comments were not to persuade you to keep the GM rear end , I use a Strange 9 inch Ford in my Nova , so as far as I'm concerned either way is fine. IF economical reasons were not an issue then I would absolutely use a 12 bolt just for the sake of originality.

And I was also agreeing that a 12 bolt is in NO WAY stronger than a 9 inch Ford ( aftermarket to aftermarket ).
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

We are on the same level. I've been catching some flack for what I'm trying to do.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 02:17 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum.I'm also looking for the same response.If you find please do share it with me.Nice posting.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 01:12 AM

I just want to throw this out there. I have 295/60-15 Hoosier Quick Times mounted on 15x8 Weld Pro Stars in the stock wheel wells of my 67 Biscayne. They fit, but it is TIGHT!

1967 Biscayne 2 dr. w/427, Turbo 400(changing to TKO600) and 12 bolt w/4.56's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page