carburetor question - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

carburetor question

hello everyone, my name is Brad from Akron,OH. i have a 1965 Impala that i have been working on racing. i put a 454 w/12.5 comp. .714 lift cam roller. th400 tranny w/3500 stall 4:11 12 bolt . the heads are stk. other than some mild porting. have a weiand team g intake w/1" carb spacer. any suggestions on a carb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:11 PM

850 cfm HP series double pumper will feed it for now.

What stock heads do you have oval or rectangular? If rectangular look at an annular discharge booster carb (they are more expensive but worth it). Problem with rectangular port heads under 500+ cid motors is keeping port velocity up unless you are trailering the car as a race only vehicle that doesn't see below 4000 RPM operation.

Big Dave
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 09:06 AM
BA.

I totally agree with Dave on the carb and the Q about the heads. 850 was the first thing that popped into my head.
If you have the rectangular port heads and the right cam profile, I personally would be tempted to go with a 950, assuming you're winging it to higher rpm range. .714 is serious lift.

Your motor sounds pretty killer, we'd love to see some pics of the whole car if you get a chance to post some!

PS. welcome to the site.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Dave and BA, i have the oval ports, the engine is a 1988 mercruiser motor i bought from a guy who was upgrading. i bought the 65' and it had a SB 400 which i still have. i thought the 454 would fit the size of the car better. after pulling the motor out and looking over the car better. i come to the conclusion that... well the car is not in as great a shape as i thought. so i was going to tub it and try to make it the fastest 65' i knew of. well i got some of it done. decided not to tub. so i got 29x9 tires under it. rebuilt the bottom end, forged crank, stk. rods, big cam (as mentioned) forged pistons, titanium retainers etc. (just wanted to make the lightest vavletrain i could). then i ran out of cash. so i stuck the action plus dual plane manifold and the 800cfm marine holley that i bought it with and trailered it to the track. i got there late and got one run before TT was over. ran... well i wont say but the distributor was loose. the plugs were black. i was bummed. but now i have some cash and i bought a cd box and a single plane manifold. now i want to purchase a carb. anymore advice would be deeply appreciated. i wanted to mention that all this is very new to me. i must be one of the last people on earth to get the internet. but thanks for the welcome. Miamisburg?? where is that?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 12:11 AM
BA.

so YOU'RE the last guy on the Internet. I was wondering who that was going to be. lol.

Miamisburg, Ohio - between a dying Dayton and the riverside Queen City of Cincinnati.

since you're new to the Net somewhat, I feel obligated to tell you that there is a ton of racer, go-fast stuff for sale at www.racingjunk.com from guys all over the country. Everything from trailers, to cars, to engines to carbs. Saw some 850's and 950's there. Just another place like Ebay or LS1Tech to let the time fly by.

If you don't mind my asking, do you run track gas or 'Turbo Blue' or what? Just curious because of the obviously high CR.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 01:20 AM

I used to get VP or Sunoco racing gas delivered to my door two to three 55 gallon drums at a time (have a barn full of empty barrels) back before 9-11 and Homeland Security regulations. Now it is 40 gallons max and the price of shipping kills you. I pulled apart my old 582 to rid myself of 13.0:1 compression with the intentions of rebuilding as an E-85 50% nitrous fed motor but I lost interest before I lost my butt in the stock market down turn (I am retired). So my old Impala is sitting out in the barn gathering dust. That and even though Florida and my home town are major producers of alcohol it isn't for sale anywhere in the state except as 10% pump gas. So I guess my early morning ramble (I've got to get up again in four hours) should end with a warning; "plan ahead!"

Big Dave
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

BA, I made it a point to find it on the map at work. good ways away from me. atleast you dont get this dreadful lake affect snow. thanks for the website. i dont mind answering any question that i have the answer too. im running sunoco 110, and yes Dave you can buy 55 gallon drums in Ohio. sorry to here about your loss in the market. i dont think you are alone. back to my original question, what in your guys opinions is a better carb, Barry Grant Demon, or Holley Dominator?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 06:46 PM
BA.

Hands Down - Barry Grant.

I was just telling my buddy about this thread at lunch yesterday and needed some help remembering Barry's name!! I forgot to get back in this thread and mention him to you.

He aint cheap, but you won't go wrong with anything with his name on it.

A Dominator is by no means a bad choice either - they don't call it a Dominator for nuttin! Grant is a hella-tuner though, so I pick him of the 2 options
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

BA, i have been on some other archived sights and they said that the quality is for the birds. but the carbs look beautiful. the latest bad response was 8/08. they said if you buy one better be prepared to tear it down and clean it out right out the gate. you have not heard this?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 11:47 PM
BA.

Wow. I have NOT heard that. Apparently I'm in the wrong circles. I'll make some phone calls to some friends tomorrow and get some current scoop on BG and report back what they tell me. Maybe my info is too old, something might have changed at BG. I'm shocked either way.

I'm curious as to what our older/ ex-racers on here think. Dave, Bill, Dadstoy, etc.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

thanks BA, just looking at some other sites so its not gospel. well im looking at a Holley with what is called a "soft progressive linkage". it says its for race only. my question is what is "s.p.l."? thanks in advance.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 05:56 PM
BA.

yeah, yeah, I know. It's several days later than I said I would be back.

so all in all, I probably saw the same comments out there that you did. there are definitely people with vocal gripes about Barry Grant quality and service. It seems that the quality concerns came about because a few found dirt, foriegn material or something in the carbs. I didn't see anything about physical carb quality.

Of course, I saw several people chiming in on threads stating that their BG carbs were flawless and they loved them. It's hard to say what the real deal is. No manufacturer has 100% quality and the internet is a huge soapbox to voice your complaint. hard to make a call on this one!

So, my friends came back and suggest the same 850 or 930 (edit sized carb for your engine, and a couple of them mentioned that the company "Quick Fuel" is getting a lot of positive praise these days. http://www.quickfueltechnology.com/home_1.htm

Seems that the guy that started that company came from Holley. I don't think you'd go wrong getting something from them, and they'd probably help ensure you got the right-sized carb and with proper jetting from the get-go.

Last edited by BA.; 02-25-2009 at 11:11 PM. Reason: clarification
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

with this computer being so slow with dial up internet. it takes me a half hour to upload a picture only to find out it isnt very good. so im getting used to waiting. lol
well thanks for the help. now that i bought the manifold with a dominator flange i think im going to go with the Holley. now i realize that they dont make a Dominator at 800-1000 cfm. probably go with the 1050. i know it might be a hair big but will see what happens. not commited yet and will look at the QF carbs. anyway that link should be good for those pictures. look forward to hearing from you again.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 01:26 PM

Hi Im new to this site. Im building a Street/Strip 496 10.5 compression,early brodix 305cc heads,brodix hvh dual plane,252 263 @ .050 compcam with .714 lift and a 830 annular race holley. I was thinking about going to a 1050 dominator but it might not have good off idle drivabilty. Im still in the stages of collecting parts for the build. Remember Im going mostly street if i was to race it only a 1050 would be my choice. What is the Duration of your cam at .050? What size Intake valve?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A5150 View Post
with this computer being so slow with dial up internet. it takes me a half hour to upload a picture only to find out it isnt very good. so im getting used to waiting. lol
well thanks for the help. now that i bought the manifold with a dominator flange i think im going to go with the Holley. now i realize that they dont make a Dominator at 800-1000 cfm. probably go with the 1050. i know it might be a hair big but will see what happens. not commited yet and will look at the QF carbs. anyway that link should be good for those pictures. look forward to hearing from you again.
I have only used Holley carbs. (I have had no reason as of yet to change so I keep using them, as opposed to one being better than the other). The Holley Dominator comes in 750 cfm (for use with another 750 in a dual carb application) 1050, 1150, or 1250 cfm. All are down leg booster carbs four corner adjustable. I have heard rumors of Barry Grant's carbs needing to be disassembled and cleaned properly as they are all machined from billet aluminum and people have reported to me that they find metal shavings in the carb metering plates and fuel bowls. I have no direct knowledge of this personally. I have a Holley Dominator now along with two 850's, a 780, and three 650 cfm Holleys; and that is just on top of my computer desk (not counting the ones on my cars).

Big Dave

Last edited by Big Dave; 03-03-2009 at 04:22 PM.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Welcome Modchevelle,

My cam is I266-E274 at .050. the idea for that cam was with the stk. oval port heads I2.2-E1.88 and KB.250 dome pistons and all other variables give me about 12.5 to 1 and checking piston to valve clearance was the minimum, .080 on the intake and .100 on exhuast. so that was the largest cam i could run. with the combination of oval ports, Weiand Action plus dual plane manifold, Holley 800 spread bore carb and 3000 stall the car idles and runs on the street very well. but now im at the point where i want to take it to the next stage. ie race only. with my cam, it makes its horsepower above 4000rpm which in my opinion should be on the strip. anyway get back to me. hope you like the site. these guys are good people. let me know of some other sites for ideas on motors. all this internet stuff is new to me.

Hey Dave, thanks, i think that Holley is what im going for. my buddys dad has a 1050 Dom. that i think im going to get for a real good price. he hasnt said yet. what do you think an unmolested 1050 is worth? i think its a 2 circuit. thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page