engine upgrade - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

engine upgrade

Hello everyone, I am looking to upgrade my 1985 series sbc 350 for a newer model. I am looking for 300-400HP that is very durable, i am in the military and i travel across country quite often. I also plan on doing the long haul for the upcoming Power Tour in June. Any suggestions and links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 02:28 PM

A SBC 406 (400 bored 30 over) would be the easiest way to accomplish your goals. It makes a very reliable yet powerful small block that can make 400 horses without breaking the bank. The SBC 400 has been out of production for forty years now so there are very few rebuildable cores left to build upon (they are a very popular motor now unlike when they were new). It is almost cheaper to buy a Dart Little M 4.125" bore block and build on that. Mild 220-230 degrees of duration at a half inch of valve lift degree hydraulic roller cam combined with a set of 195 cc or 210 cc AFR heads and you can join the Power Tour and travel from one end of the country to the other.

Big Dave
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsnpots View Post
Hello everyone, I am looking to upgrade my 1985 series sbc 350 for a newer model. I am looking for 300-400HP that is very durable, i am in the military and i travel across country quite often. I also plan on doing the long haul for the upcoming Power Tour in June. Any suggestions and links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I bought a 383 stroker from Smeding Performance in Boerne, Tx last year (I notice you are in Killeen; not too far from Boerne) for my 63 Impala convertible. I am very happy with the purchase. They have lots of alternatives.

To add on to Big Dave's post, if you plan to build the engine yourself, you might also consider using a 350 sbc block and build a 383. It is easy to get 350+ hp and lots of low end torque (400 ft-lbs +) with a 383.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page