64' impala exhaust - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to Buoy
64' impala exhaust

Im about to put new exhaust on my 64' impala but I was wondering what everyone thought would be the best to go with. I have a 350sbc in it with hooker long tube headers, and Im wondering what would sound the best. Im thinking just flowmaster 40 series with 2 1/2 inch pipes. What do yall think? Also, should I have it come out before the back wheels, or behind the bumper? Anybody have a 64' thats real mean sounding? Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 12:41 PM

i have Super 44's (Flowmasters) on my '64 ChevyII, Sanderson full length headers, 2-1/2" "Pypes" pipes that exit at rear bumper (system has an "X") and i love the sound... not much use though as i have no sound clip for you...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 01:32 PM
BA.

some guys like the exhaust dumping at the axle but I'm really against it due to the increased cabin noise level and sound drone. I put that tip out the back bumper area!

I can appreciate a loud exhaust, but, I want it when my foot is deep in the throttle, not all the time.
Those 40's are pretty loud aren't they? I'm sure you've been to the Flowmaster website. They'd probably be too loud for me. I went with some Dynomax Super Turbos and am happy with them for the price.

From Flowmaster: "This is the most “aggressive” sounding street/strip muffler that Flowmaster offers. If you're looking for attention, this one will get you noticed. The standard 40 series has an “aggressive rumble" and will generally resonate inside the vehicle around 1800-2000 rpm’s, and again at 2400-2600 rpm’s. Constructed of 16 gauge aluminized steel and fully mig-welded for maximum durability"

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 01:51 PM

my ChevyII's a fairly short car compared to a Bel-Air so maybe it'd be a bit louder in the passenger compartment, i dunno. i've got the floor covered from the top inside of the firewall to the rear of the floor with Dynamat. at a cruise my car doesn't seem to have a drone to it that is bothersome to me, all performance mufflers have somewhat of a drone don't they ? on WOT it sounds pretty aggressive, freeway it's fine by me. they say the "X" silences the system a little, right ? so that may be a factor to consider also

here's a video i forgot i had, maybe it'll be of assistance for a sound clip:

the volt gauge was defective so disregard that will ya guys my buddy's baggin' on me for owning a Sedan (he's a Chicken Coupe guy ) this was just a few days of getting it running, less than 100 miles on the car...

here's another one:

hope it helps,

JR
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 03:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to Vai-cake Send a message via MSN to Vai-cake
Sounds pretty sweet man!

Make: Chevrolet
Model: Impala
Year: 1962
Doors: 4
Epicness: YES
Motor: 283 V8 [Seized up]
Tranny: Powerglide
Such a work in progress!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 06:02 PM

i have a 1964 impala that we just pulled out the 327 to replace with a 496 big block. but i have long tube headers and had 3 inch with magna flows that stops right after front seats and sounds great isnt annoying loud and sounds great when you get on the gas. the mufflers with exhaust pipes with flange to bolt to header is for sale if your interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page