Has anyone ran the summit dual exhaust? - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Has anyone ran the summit dual exhaust?

My 67' has a pretty rusty single exhaust setup on it and I am thinking about getting the summit dual exhaust kit with long tube 1 5/8 headers. I can coat the headers when I get them for cheap, and I think the 1 5/8 and 2.25 dual piping will still be ok on the 307 build up down the road. I'm thinking get the h-pipe kit to add to it. The whole kit is $269.95 with headers and all. The exhaust exits in front of the rear tires, I'm thinking the rectangle Z28 style tips would look good out the side there. What do you guys think? I think it should sound/look pretty good and the performance down the road should still be good with it. It comes with Thrush mufflers as well

Dallas
1970 Camaro:

1988 Ford F350 Dually: It HAULS! Literally

1987 Iroc- LS1/T56 swap- sold

1967 Chevrolet K10- lifted, locked, 33's, OD Green- sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 01:19 PM

I have no complaint with them as they are plane Jane aluminized mild steel pipes that are not mandrel bent (unless it says otherwise). I would buy a set of name brand off the shelf header pipes personally (Headman or Hooker) and have a local muffler shop that specializes in hot rods or bikes bend up the pipes as you are giving your money to a trucking company instead of a welder-pipe fitter locally by buying off shore stuff were there isn't that much difference in price (after you figure in shipping).

Second I strongly suggest if this is to be a family car that you put the pipes out the back to reduce drone and let everyone see your duals. Talking about looks rather than a square tip or a round tip how about a Bow-Tie tip. Blue ovals can't do it (well maybe if they had a scroll work Ford logo over the oval tip end), but mother Mopar isn't going to get a ram's head or a Wing'n'Wreath exhaust tip.

I bought my stainless steel BowTie exhaust tips. From summitracing.com under part number SUM-690065; but they no longer have them any more. You can buy your at this site I found.

http://www.pciinc.com/index.php/exha...ainless/steel/

Big Dave
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 05:39 PM

Summit exhaust

Hi ramairZ!
Im in the prosess of putting on a system just like that in my 67 Biscayne 2post 427 clone.
its the 3" system with an X-flow attached.
I did the same system in 2,5" last year on a 68 Bel air with a mild 350 and i am more than satisfied with it. Sweet sound and good quality for less doe:-)
I say go for it!:-)

Frank M Jacobsen
Norway

www.bilhogg.com
www.muskelbil.no

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

BigDave, I can't get a complete exhaust system including headers for under $300 around here. Shoot, I just needed some piping added to my 67' K10 (took out the 2" pipe that was on it and put 2 1/4), would have been about 6 feet with 2 bends per piece and they wanted to charge me $225 without mufflers or anything. Shipping from summit brought the total to $281.90. I think I'm going to go that route for now. If I end up with a motor swap down the road, it will get something different. Glad to hear it worked out for you Norway, I'm debating if I want to go big block down the road with this car

Dallas
1970 Camaro:

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAirZ View Post
BigDave, I can't get a complete exhaust system including headers for under $300 around here. Shoot, I just needed some piping added to my 67' K10 (took out the 2" pipe that was on it and put 2 1/4), would have been about 6 feet with 2 bends per piece and they wanted to charge me $225 without mufflers or anything. Shipping from summit brought the total to $281.90. I think I'm going to go that route for now. If I end up with a motor swap down the road, it will get something different. Glad to hear it worked out for you Norway, I'm debating if I want to go big block down the road with this car
Dallas you need to move else wheres...I can get duals with mufflers installed here for around $225. But you've got a plus if your set comes with headers.

1967 Chevy Impala 4 dr hrd tp...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

lol ya I agree. I live in San Diego, back in Florida I could get an exhaust done cheap. I haven't found any cheap places around here

Dallas
1970 Camaro:

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I got to move somewhere else too. NJ is also pretty expensive. You go to Firestone and they want to charge you an hour worth of work just to open the hood which they call "diagnosis". If there is a coolant leak, the diagnosis is "radiator replacement needed". Last time it happened to me and my less than 1 year old radiator, it finally turned out to be the radiator plug at the bottom ($8 part). Of course that's why I do not go there anymore.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Ya, that's why I do all my own stuff. I hear all the horror stories like that. My father raised me on cars and engines (owned a motorcycle shop and raced hydroplanes) and I learned alot with him and then went to school for more. I only take my cars in if i need tires or an alignment lol

Dallas
1970 Camaro:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page