any idea's on headers - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

any idea's on headers

I've got the most beautiful 63 Impala, 327 4 speed all factory orig. I'm sixty years old and this is my 4th 63. I have never had one with headers and promised myself this car would be a hot rod, what the heck, ..only go around once..do you guys have any ideas on what brand to get...thanks bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 07:56 PM

From my experience Hooker made the best competition headers but Headman made the best fitting ones when it was time to cap it up and go home.

Big Dave
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 12:36 AM

I have to agree with Big Dave I have Headman on my 400sb but they are the Headman thermal coated headers they have been the best ones I have used yet.

Make: Chevrolet
Model: Impala
Year: 1971
Doors: 4
Motor: 400 V8
Tranny: TH350

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 10:36 AM
BA.

you won't go wrong with 'Hedman' thermal coated headers.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 11:01 AM

Another bump for hedman, I've had 2 sets so far (thermal-elite and non thermal) and have been satisfied each time.

Dallas
1970 Camaro:

1988 Ford F350 Dually: It HAULS! Literally

1987 Iroc- LS1/T56 swap- sold

1967 Chevrolet K10- lifted, locked, 33's, OD Green- sold
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

I have been leaning towards hedmanns thanks guys
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 05:40 AM

i have been using headers from hookers from long. they seem to be there very well till now. about a year has past and still like new
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 08:22 AM

Maybe its just me but my coating is falling off. Not happy with them!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSSMAN View Post
Maybe its just me but my coating is falling off. Not happy with them!
I have had my Headman thermal coated headers since 04 still looks almost like the day I bought them. Also it was a daily driver for a few years and I am running about 425 to 427 HP. Also what brand are you running and what coating is on them? If it is just a painted one then yes the coating comes off after a while.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 Impala View Post
I have had my Headman thermal coated headers since 04 still looks almost like the day I bought them. Also it was a daily driver for a few years and I am running about 425 to 427 HP. Also what brand are you running and what coating is on them? If it is just a painted one then yes the coating comes off after a while.
Hedman Ceramic Thermal Coating and they started to bubble a little and after more use starting to rust and peel coating. Two years old maybe a 100 miles max.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSSMAN View Post
Hedman Ceramic Thermal Coating and they started to bubble a little and after more use starting to rust and peel coating. Two years old maybe a 100 miles max.
Wow I have had mine for a while 35,000 miles on mine. I know some ceramic people they said if a header is not properly done it will do that cause of hand oil contamination or improper baking it is a number of ways it could happen. Have you driven in snow with it? Also headman has lifetime warranty send them back and get new ones. I had the regular ones and they cracked on the rear tubes so I upgraded to the Elite thermal coated cause the gauge tubing was thicker had no problems since.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 03:48 PM

I'm gonna bump this up for some more input...
I have a '59 and just pulled the motor to build a 383. I had the Sanderson Cast Iron exhaust manifolds on it and planned to use them on the 383. Alas, once I got them off... I noticed they are cracked, both of them. They've never been too hot, the cracks are in the exact same spot on both, so I'm guessing they were a bad casting. They are more than 5 years old, so Sanderson won't do anything about them.
That said.... I'm torn between a set of tube shorty's to replace them, or a set of full length headers. If full length, I'll most likely use the Hedman Elite ones-- http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-68238

Only real concern with the full length ones is fitment. I HATE wrestling with ill-fitting headers. I know the shorty's will fit...and as a plus they may bolt up to my existing exhaust.

While I'm asking... anybody know if these will clear the pass. side dipstick on a newer block?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page