67 impala SS - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

67 impala SS

I have a 67 impala with a 327engine, 4 barrel carb, and a 3 speed transmission with stock posi rear end. I want to upgrade my engine performance. Looking for a top end kit and I've look online but not sure what I should get. Looking for a kit cause don't know how to put heads together or rebuild pistons. I like something I can order and install. My mechanic skills are low. I can remove and install most parts but good at repair or rebuild parts. Any places you can recommend where complete kits are sold?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 07:00 AM

Garage
The sky is the limit here as far as combinations. The only company I can think of right now is Edelbrock. They sell a top end kit that would include heads, cam, intake carb and timing chain as a kit.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 08:42 AM

Edelbrock sells their kits by power level. They have five levels that goes from stone stock replacing the stock cast iron heads with aluminum ones just for the bling, to all out race (though I doubt if you will often win a race without some head work). Edelbrock is the source for all of Chevrolet's aluminum heads for the SBC and the BBC as sold in their GMPP catalog, though they generally add bigger valves to what Edelbrock offered.

You can examine the table that contains the five levels here:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...ion.shtml#pppl

Just bear in mind there is no free lunch. As horsepower levels climb you are taking away the ability to drive the car on the street. You don't see stock cars competing in Top Fuel, nor Top Fuel cars driven on the street for a reason.

Torker II is about as high as you can go (one horse per cubic inch of displacement) with a stock torque converter, to get to the RPM Air Gap stage you would need at least the torque converter out of a Corvette. Though you could hit 350 horsepower with that package and new flat top pistons.

Since that would be beyond your experience level I would recommend buying a complete new crate motor from Chevrolet (GMPP), and pulling and saving your stock motor for a future owner. You can buy a 350 horse 350 or a higher torque and horsepower 383 and bolt it in place of your motor (except when I looked I discovered that GM no longer sells a 383 motor) selling a ZZ4 350 in t's place since they both make the same power levels.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-19301294

A cheaper though hundred horse less in power is the stone stock brand new 350 pulled off the assembly line that costs only one third of the ZZ4

https://chevroletperformanceparts.co...se-350ci290-hp

When you buy a new motor from Chevy you get a GM factory warranty with it, so Chevy fixes any motor problems just like they do with a new car. That is not how the rest of the crate motors you buy work. With those engines you take it a shop that employs ASE techs to pay for the repair and then file an insurance claim with their under writer. So they are not selling a warranty but an insurance policy with their engines.

For the same money as the base engine another company will sell you a rebuilt used engine in the form of a 383:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ml...FcIXHwodNccBmQ

Big Dave

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbears View Post
I have a 67 impala with a 327engine, 4 barrel carb, and a 3 speed transmission with stock posi rear end. I want to upgrade my engine performance. Looking for a top end kit and I've look online but not sure what I should get. Looking for a kit cause don't know how to put heads together or rebuild pistons. I like something I can order and install. My mechanic skills are low. I can remove and install most parts but good at repair or rebuild parts. Any places you can recommend where complete kits are sold?
Is the engine tuned properly? A proper tune up (including the carb, plug wires, etc) can significantly enhance 'performance'.

Is that a 3 speed manual? What is your rear gear ratio? Those are variables you need to know when modifying your engine. One should match the drive train to the rpm range where the engine makes its 'power'.

Compression test? Leak down test? The problem (if you have one) may be in your 'lower' end.

Just some thoughts. Hope this is helpful.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 11:48 AM
BA.

Pete makes a good point about the health of the rest of your engine. You will be behind in both time and money if you buy a top-end kit only to find out later that your piston-rings do not seal well. (or God forbid, the crank/rod bearings are worn)

Compression and leakdown-rate tests are pretty easy, you can handle it. Look for a tester at Summit, I would think they aren't too expensive, maybe $30-$60.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 01:06 PM

With a set-up like that, I would be super-tuning what you have and leave it all stock. You have a unique package there that most enthusiasts would just love to have. If you want more than what you have after a super-tune, I would buy a Hi-Performance Crate Engine and keep the original 327 in storage, to be able to put back together someday. The car will be worth much more in original condition, if you ever decide to sell. My 2 Cents...

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page