66 Impala SBC Big Tube Headers - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

66 Impala SBC Big Tube Headers

Looking to see if anyone knows of a company that offers a SBC headers for my Impala bigger than a 1 5/8" Primary tube? Or if someone has used a header for a similar chassis that works/fits?

If all else fails I will build some to my specs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 11:17 AM

Hooker makes a two inch primary tube diameter header for the SBC and the 1965-70 Chevy full size car but it is a competition style header.

A competition only header means no flanges on the end of the adjustable length collector to cap it up, and many of the tubes are slip fit and not fully welded so you can easily remove the headers for engine maintenance or R&R (you don't worry about exhaust leaks when you are running uncapped). Another count against them is they are made of light gauge tubing and have light weight (thinner) flanges to reduce weight which is good for racing but bad for the street as the flanges will warp faster (more exhaust leaks) and the tubes won't last long if they ever get wet.

I believe you can get up to a 2-1/8th inch tubing from most header manufactures for a full all out race header. As when racing you don't worry about bottom end torque because you leave at 5000 RPM and shift at 7,800 RPM so who needs bottom end anything; it is all about WOT performance. Now if you want to drive this car on the street then I would think a 1-3/4 inch header would be as big as you want to go unless your running a stroked 383-406 in which case a 1-7/8 inch would be my maximum size. These can be found in thermal coated, long tube, three inch collectors with flanges with heavier 1/4 inch thick flanges to maintain a tight seal.

Just be sure to read all of the foot notes (that string of two or three digit numbers after the part description) at the bottom of the catalog page to be sure your car isn't the exception to the guaranteed great fit.

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Do you happen to know the part number to these headers? It sounds pretty close to what I'm looking for.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 09:16 AM

Hooker Headers:

Please do as follows:
go to their website and they have a search feature; complete info as there are many, many choices, with specs on each:

http://www.holley.com/search.asp

Paul

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Paul/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Paul/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.jpg[/IMG]

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

All of them are 1 5/8" primaries except for one showing 1 3/4" which happens to be a typo (actually 1 5/8") from what I found.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page