Exhaust question? - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Exhaust question?

I want to redo my exhaust I have 2 1/2 on there now. It is standard bent with no X pipe. What I want to do is 2 1/2 mandural bent tubing with the X pipe and get it tucked under good. Right now the pipes up front just off the headers hang lower then the frame Now from what I have heard about the X pipe is more performance. Back when I had it done the guy who built the motor said he don't like the X pipe cause of know if one side has a problem such as a valve or smoke whatever. So at the time I said ok and did the it straight back. I know the performance I will get from mandual piping but what will I get with the X pipe and would you do it?
Members comments please;
Thanks in advance.

Make: Chevrolet
Model: Impala
Year: 1971
Doors: 4
Motor: 400 V8
Tranny: TH350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 07:29 AM

An X pipe nearly doubles the size of the exhaust system from the engines point of view so back pressure drops considerably. The engine exhaust noise mellows out as the high frequency tinny noises are tuned out of the exhaust by way of pulse cancellation. Makes the motor sound bigger in my opinion. It is very beneficial.

I would be sure to include about 18 inches of flex pipe per side (woven stainless steel hose with a smooth interior) if you are thinking of tying it all together. This will allow you to bolt it to the frame and it further reduces rattles and squeaks (but that flex hose is incredibly expensive).

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
I would be sure to include about 18 inches of flex pipe per side (woven stainless steel hose with a smooth interior) if you are thinking of tying it all together. This will allow you to bolt it to the frame and it further reduces rattles and squeaks (but that flex hose is incredibly expensive).

Big Dave
Thanks for the tip I sure will use it.

Make: Chevrolet
Model: Impala
Year: 1971
Doors: 4
Motor: 400 V8
Tranny: TH350

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 01:45 PM

get the xpipe
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 06:25 PM

+ X pipe.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page