Fuel tank - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

1Likes
  • 1 Post By japete92

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Fuel tank

I just recently dropped my fuel tank so I can replace it when I took out the fuel sending unit and measured it was a 5/16 but I went on the website to buy one it told me if I had a 4-barrel carb I should get a 3/8 with my 327 engine just wanted to make sure this was correct because I'm also going to buy fuel lines and fuel return line in 3/8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewc51 View Post
I just recently dropped my fuel tank so I can replace it when I took out the fuel sending unit and measured it was a 5/16 but I went on the website to buy one it told me if I had a 4-barrel carb I should get a 3/8 with my 327 engine just wanted to make sure this was correct because I'm also going to buy fuel lines and fuel return line in 3/8.
Yes! I agree.

The 5/16th fuel line was used with motors that made less than 300 horsepower (base engine), and the 3/8th fuel line was used on all high performance engines. They are interchangeable if you are upgrading your fuel supply, and I recommend buying stainless steel line as it will not rust with acidic gasahol.

Personally I use half inch fuel line, and fittings, as well as a half inch through put electric fuel pump to push the fuel forward as I make a tad more than 300 horsepower.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 04:21 PM

How would you replace whole fuel line without pulling the body off the frame? I'm in the process of doing the EFI install and also return line and there is no way on my convertible of routing the line along the frame up over the rear crossmember and back down to the tank without bending the prefit line a million times. I ended up needing a two part to install the filter and also rerouted it to avoid going up over the crossmember and will now run along the frame above the rear diff. I hope it fits and works, just got it back from a custom line place down the road.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 05:27 PM

I haven't seen your car but the fuel line runs on the inside of the frame rail suspended by clips. It doesn't run inside the frame with the exception of the very front of the frame where it is fully boxed in. You can insert the new fuel line into the frame up front first then clip in place as it runs down the passenger side frame rail to the back of the car.

Of course the cars I normally work on have no frame behind the fire wall, so I ma not familiar with how the back of your Impala is set up. The only other vehicles I put motors in were pick-up trucks and the frame on them is open from the fire wall to the back of the vehicle. I suspect the full size is the same.

Big Dave
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:43 AM

I was talking in the back of the car and maybe a convertible runs a little different, just too many 90 and 180 degree bends to fish it through.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:54 AM

My mechanic buddy just did this for me, but I'm not sure what size it was. The fuel gauge works now and we cleaned out the tank while it was off. Tons of junk in it (sugar, etc) but fortunately no rust.

'67 Chevy Impala SS, 350 motor, 4 speed.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

my gas tank just came in and I realize that I bought steel not stainless steel so I'm thinking about getting some Rust Proof paint spray paint and painting it anything I need to do can I just start spraying it
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
my gas tank just came in and I realize that I bought steel not stainless steel so I'm thinking about getting some Rust Proof paint spray paint and painting it anything I need to do can I just start spraying it
Even rust preventative paint (like POR 15) needs proper prep of the metal it is to be applied to prevent it from sloughing off.

Big Dave
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Tank won't rust unless left partially filled w/gas (or empty) for long period of time. For short periods of inactivity (over the winter) fill the tank, add some 'dry gas' additive, and you'll be fine for 50 years, or so.

If I didn't't like the way the inside of the tank looked, I'd replace it. A new galvanized one form Spectra (from Canada sold by various vendors) is about $150; stainless about twice that. Stainless is overkill in my opinion.
shaark92 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page