Better sound from my flowmaster 44's - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Better sound from my flowmaster 44's

Well 1st off I have a 1963 Impala SS with the 327 engine, I have block hugger headers, 2.5 tubing and flowmaster 44's. I love that tone but I want it amplified. Whats my best bet? Should I get some downturns after the mufflers? I like the look of my pipes coming out the rear quarters though...Should I just replace the mufflers with the single chamber Flowmaster 10's?

Rite now the mufflers are basically under the driver and passenger seat, I read on a different forum that there is room behind the rear axle to mount the mufflers, and that the shorter the pipes are to them the louder. Someone also mentioned a X pipe, But would there be any place to put it having a X frame? My car sits pretty low.

Back in the day I had a 83 regal with a 305 and some imco mufflers and some big exhaust tips. I loved the tone, idled sweet, throaty sound,even tickled my ears while I drive off slowly, just amazing.... How do I get this same effect? Any input would be great, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 11:57 PM
BA.

you're right in thinking that if you had turn-downs after the mufflers that it would increase what you (and your passengers) hear in the car. Nuttin' wrong with that but if your underside,trunk, etc. isn't air-tight, you may smell fumes in the car sometimes.

I don't think you want the x-pipe though, I am pretty certain that that quiets things down a little.
IMO - I'd do different Flowmasters before the 'turn-downs'.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA. View Post
you're right in thinking that if you had turn-downs after the mufflers that it would increase what you (and your passengers) hear in the car. Nuttin' wrong with that but if your underside,trunk, etc. isn't air-tight, you may smell fumes in the car sometimes.

I don't think you want the x-pipe though, I am pretty certain that that quiets things down a little.
IMO - I'd do different Flowmasters before the 'turn-downs'.

o.k say I get the single chamber Flowmaster or Cherry bombs extreme single chamber. Should I up grade to 3" piping? I'm only thinking this because my pipes have alot of bends and curves by the time it reaches the back. Maybe things might flow a little better using 3", or would it hurt my sound or prerformance?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 02:58 PM

I have turn downs on my 67 Camaro and the sound inside is obnoxious when sitting in traffic. They also create a LOT of dust, especially on gravel. Just something to consider. I'm getting rid of them ASAP...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 08:58 PM

Nothing worse than riding in a car that gags you with exhaust smell. And I don't care for all the noise inside either. These old cars don't have Cat Converters, so the fumes are deadly. Run them out the back, if for nothing more than safety.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 11:05 PM
BA.

hahaha It's unanimous, all us old farts think you should run it out the back. :-D

that being said,..it's difficult to change out mufflers and keep the same sound/tone.

To me, the older Flowmaster 2-chambers are ok, and distinctive, but I don't know how it compares to the 44's or the other mufflers you mentioned.

picking a muffler for that right sound is TOUGH in my book!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 01:54 AM

The closer to the motor the mufflers are the hotter they get and louder. If you want louder go with 40 sires that is what I run and after I give it a good run the rest of the day they are loud

Make: Chevrolet
Model: Impala
Year: 1971
Doors: 4
Motor: 400 V8
Tranny: TH350
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 Impala View Post
The closer to the motor the mufflers are the hotter they get and louder. If you want louder go with 40 sires that is what I run and after I give it a good run the rest of the day they are loud
Well I went with the 44's because flowmasters website claims, "The super 44 delivers a powerful rich tone and is the most aggressive, deepest sounding, highest performing four inch case street muffler we've ever built!"

Maybe I should send you mine and have you break them in,
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Maybe I should do 3" piping out of the mufflers because I do have a lot of bends on my set up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page