Torque Converter for 95 LT1 with Hot Cam kit - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Torque Converter for 95 LT1 with Hot Cam kit

I just picked up a 95 wagon with an lt1, ported aluminum LT1 heads, Hot Cam Kit, re-tuned computer, ram air, a 4L60 with corvette servos & springs & a shift kit, and a 3.73 posi. Funnest daily driver I've owned. But it's also got about a 2800 stall converter, which is great for when I stab the throttle, but is just a tiny bit on the loose side for steady state around town. I'm considering putting a stock converter back in, or maybe splitting the difference and going to something like a 2300 stall, but don't want to completely kill my performance. I guess it really depends mostly on the powerband an engine with these particular mods will make. Anybody got any persoonal experience with this? Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 05:32 PM

The Hot Cam needs a higher stall to be effective (and steeper gears). The 4L60E in the car came stock with the "Corvette servo", however. Sounds like someone has done their homework on your combo. You could tighten up the lockup points on the converter through your PCM programming to have it lock sooner. Once locked, no worries about the stall, of course. Your PCM is programmed for all the mods, correct? Running stock line pressure for the trans (because you have to with the shift kit).
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jason. The PCM was re-programmed, but not sure about the lockup settings or the line pressure settings. From the description of the seller, the vehicle was tuned while running in a parking lot with a laptop hooked up to the ALDL. This tells me it was not fully optimized for various load conditions, so I think I may have to invest in some tuning software. Another thing I'm dealing with is that the trans seems to hunt, esecially when its between 40&50mph. I thought this may also be attributable to the looser converter, but is this something I may be able to tune out with the tuning software? Do you have any experience with LT1edit (or other) software?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 09:59 PM

The hunting was a known issue that was addressed in the older stock 700R4 version of the trannies but you may have to patch the hunting problem again on your own with a modified tranny and motor, as Chevy isn't going to buy this as a warranty issue now. It was a surging in the control circuitry caused by low line pressure initially, and a new pump design fixed it originally, but you may have rediscovered it again with your modifications.

Big Dave
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 01:07 PM

The "hunting" is likely the converter locking and unlocking. That can be adjusted with programming. You can pick up a cable from AKM Cables to do it yourself, or you can have a programmer like PCMforless do it for you. Your mods are pretty typical, and not hard to program for. I have a few different programs for my 95 SS. It has a T56 six speed, with 4.10 gears, along with a few power mods. Tuned to remove the auto trans, change gear ratio, tire height, timing, fan turn on temp, etc, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page