Question about flowmasters - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Question about flowmasters

So i recently bought a flomaster ( 2 of them ) for my 2005 ss impala (supercharged) but it dosnt have that mean rumble...how can i get it to sound like a bigger engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 10:25 PM

I'm not sure what kind of bigger engine sound you're going for, but a 3.8 supercharged V6 will always sound like a 3.8 V6. The Flowmasters will only make it sound like a slightly louder 3.8 V6. You should however see a slight increase in low end performance and possibly a little better mileage due to the freer flowing exhaust.

Bigblox
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 11:13 PM
BA.

there should at least be a light rumble there.

I'm wondering if the car comes with a resonator in the exhaust? If so, you could have it removed.
Otherwise, I agree with Grant, a smooth running, mild cammed V6 is gonna sound like a V6. (meaning, you won't get the V8 tone)

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 02:02 AM

When I used to roll into a parking lot all eyes turned and followed my car as I idled in and parked. This is because I had a 582 BBC (9.6 liters) under the hood which doesn't sound like a 3.8 liter V-6. It also had headers that are thinner than cast iron manifolds allowing more noise to escape the exhaust system. It wasalso equipped with a solid roller cam with 270 degrees duration at 0.050"valve lift and high static compression which further aggravates the smooth idle sound even though I am running FlowMaster Tri 50's to quiet down the sound a bit. A lot of the rumble is due to larger displacement (more bass sound) A smaller displacement engine always has a higher pitch to it which is why small two cycle bikes sound like mosquitoes when they go buzzing down the road with their megaphone exhausts.

Big Dave
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 06:25 PM

I think part of the problem is, most modern engines have been built to not make noise. Super quiet cams....
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 09:21 PM

The catayltic converters act as mufflers too. I've run quite a few modern fuel injected engines with no mufflers at all, just straight pipes from the cats back. They weren't to loud at all in my opinion. I've got dual flowmasters on my bone stock 396 (cast iron manifolds too) and have been told it is loud. I haven't really heard many newer vehicles that were loud unless they gutted the cats. My father put a Magnaflow system on his 4.3 S10 and he is disappointed how quiet it is. I agree too.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

so if i take my resonator off will it sound terrible like its about to cut off bad? Will that give anymore horse power?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 10:22 AM

Not sure if the `05 Impala 3.8 even has a resonator (or resonators) to begin with, so crawl underneath and check, or check your shop manual to be sure. If so, I would not advise removing it (or them) on this car. Any horsepower gain, if any, that you might realize from doing this would be minimal at best, and you would almost certainly create a situation where you would not be able to pass your Texas state emisions testing with this type of modification. (Although, I don't know how tight those standards are in the Houston area).

Unfortunately, most modern computer controled GM engines are disigned to work with all of their factory comopnents in place and are generally just not that receptive to these types of modifications without having some kind of negative impact on other systems within the drivetrain unless certain computer parameters are altered as well. In this case, I think this would reak havoc with the O2 and/or TPS/MAP sensors due to the change in exhaust back pressure. This might be especially true with a supercharged engine such as yours.

I'm not suggesting that there aren't ways to properly make these modifications - just be aware of the other factors that you will probably encounter in doing this for what will likely be a very minimal (or no) gain in performance.

If you are serious about increasing horsepower with this engine, there are many aftermarket parts out there for the GM 3.8 (i.e. Cams, fuel delivery and intake systems, performance computer chips, etc..), but you need to decide how much money you want to spend on doing this. Horesepower ain't cheap!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 12:15 PM

A lot of guys think Flowmasters sound like crap. There are other performance mufflers out there. Borla, Magnaflow, to name a couple.

But like others said, you will only get so much performance sound out of a V6 engine.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 07:58 PM

I have noticed an increase in Magnaflow sponsorships on Speed and this site. I know this doesnt mean anything accept that they have $$ to market and won the bid. My question though is what is the tone difference, if any, between Flowmasters and Magnaflow?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 09:41 PM
BA.

I'd say it's fairly noticeable. All Flowmasters don't sound alike though, even on the same car. They have 2-chamber, 3 chamber, short ones, long ones, etc. They use chambers and try to "noise cancel" where-as the Magnaflow is a straight through design using a fibrous steel material internally to absorb sound.

Apples and Oranges.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA. View Post
I'd say it's fairly noticeable. All Flowmasters don't sound alike though, even on the same car. They have 2-chamber, 3 chamber, short ones, long ones, etc. They use chambers and try to "noise cancel" where-as the Magnaflow is a straight through design using a fibrous steel material internally to absorb sound.

Apples and Oranges.

Which one would give a more agressive tone?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
Which one would give a more agressive tone?
And which one flows better?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 08:28 PM

There have been flow tests and pressure maps ploted of all of the major muffler companies that have been published in the car mags. None of the performance mufflers hurt performance compared to a fully chambered muffler found on a stock car whose sole function is to muffle noise as throughly as possible regardless of flow restriction.

As to 'noise' vs 'performance sound' that is strictly subjective. Try to attend as many car shows as you can and ask the owners what they have as to muflers. Just keep in mind that engine displacement, cam duration and lobe seperation angle, as well as dynamic compression ratio, will all affect the noise that enters the primary tubes before the mufler ever sees it. So to will the diameter of the down pipes, the addition of an "X" pipe or "H" pipe to halance flow, and the length of the pipe.

Big Dave
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
I have noticed an increase in Magnaflow sponsorships on Speed and this site. I know this doesnt mean anything accept that they have $$ to market and won the bid. My question though is what is the tone difference, if any, between Flowmasters and Magnaflow?
I have flowmaster 40s on my '61,sounds great. Have magnaflows on my '32 and they suck. Going to change over to flowmasters,might as well make some noise.

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 08:49 PM

Flow Master 40s for the loud sound. Flow master makes several levels of sound for each muffler they offer. 40s will wake up the noise but a V-6 will always sounds shy as compared to a healthy, lopey cammed big block V-8
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 10:17 PM

This is a zombie thread, and it's about FWD.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page