LS engine into 69 Impala - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

LS engine into 69 Impala

I finally got around to putting the LQ4 I had into my 69 Impala. LS and LQ engines have the same external dimensions. It was a 6 cylinder so I got frame stands from someone on here for a V8 and used the Transdapt motor mounts (about $50 at summit) and it fits great. The truck pan fits fine, you just have to notch the engine crossmember on the passenger side a small amount. The back of the engine lands in the exact same spot as any older V8s and has the same bolt pattern other than missing one bolt. I put a 4 speed behind the engine.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else was contemplating this type of swap. Its a cheap way to get a decent performing V8 out of a junkyard.

69 Impala 4 door--- LQ4 and four speed going in right now
69 Impala 2 door
73 Nova --- single turbo 454
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 07:57 PM

Awesome, planning to do the same to my 1968 Bel Air wagon soon.
I plan to either do a T56....or a modern auto if its better on the budget.
The T56 is still the ultimate goal.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Ape
Lifetime Premium Member

Pics would be great.

Ape Out.

Make: Chevrolet
Model: Impala Custom
Year: 1969
Doors: 2
Engine: 327 V8
Trans: Powerglide

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 09:57 PM

Yes photos.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 10:20 AM
BA.

that's awesome Frank, congrats on the swap.

how much ground clearance does that oil-pan give ya?

ps. you get to update your sig. now.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

I'll get some pictures up soon, I have to dig out my camera on a sunny day. I wound up cutting some more of the engine crossmember to give a little more clearance. If you have a car worth some money or its a show car, another pan is needed really, too much cutting. Im putting this in my $700 4 door and Im just trying to make it a nice driver, so not too worried about cutting the crossmember. The oil pan sits about 3" lower than the pan in my V8 2 door. It isnt that much because the original V8 oil pan sits very high.

The stock driveshaft is the correct length for the 4 speed I have.

I have some stock C5 Corvette exhaust manifolds, they dont fit because of the power steering box. Truck manifolds look like they fit, I'll have to try to fit them all the way.

So far I just have the engine and transmission in the car, I have to do ALL the other stuff to get it going.

Thanks
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 09:02 PM

I think GM just released a new engine harness that is generic to fit any LS-x motor stuffed into any Chevy vehicle so you have enough clearly marked cable to connect everything easily. They include the new harness with the Z06 crate motor they are now selling over the counter (just add battery, tranny, and fuel pump to crank it up).

Big Dave
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

I'm still planning on getting pictures. The one thing that has killed me on this that Im just now seeing is the accessories. My engine came with no brackets or accessories other than water pump. I started collecting all the parts from local parts stores and it gets expensive fast! I figured since I have nothing to start with, I'll go with Corvette accessory drive since it sits lower in the engine bay, the truck stuff sits really high, and the Corvette parts arent any more expensive if buying rebuilt at the autoparts store, but figure $100 for each part, it adds up fast if you dont get it with the engine.

alternator/ps bracket
alternator
power steering pump
tensioner
balancer (different than truck)
water pump (different than truck)
starter

Getting the cheapest deals off ebay, amazon and advance auto (15% discount right now) all that costs as much as the engine almost. At least its all new or rebuilt so it should last.

69 Impala 2 door
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 03:43 AM

Pics. please.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Here are the pics. I was wrong, I dont like the truck pan. I have come to the conclusion that buying the CTS-V pan is better than using the truck pan. The reasons are the truck pan sits 4.5" off the ground now, the car took a week to settle at least another inch lower!! and there is too much crossmember cutting. The CTS-V pan may or may not require cutting, but not nearly as much in the end. There is a place selling the CTS-V pan for $150 new, Jakes performance or something like that. Im going to pull the engine at some point and box the crossmember back in.

The truck manifold on the driver side slightly hits the steering box, would need to be cut and welded up a small amount. Headers would be best if any reasonably priced ones are available. Mine are facing forward so Im using the manifolds.

Otherwise everything fits fine, this is an LS1 C5 Corvette accessory drive setup on it.

69 Impala 2 door
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 01:43 PM
BA.

I'm kinda glad you're not using the truck pan cause I had heard it was too deep in 1st Gen Camaros/Firebirds so I assumed it would be for you too.

In checking out the pictures you've posted for us, it looks to me like your frame stands are really short compared to the others I see in non-Impalas, which could be complicating a good oil-pan fit.
Lots of swappers use an F-body oil pan,...some use the CTS-V. Champ also makes one for about $400. (for 1st Gen F-body but it may fit)
Obviously the problem with making it all work is that taller stands to clear the oil pan also affects the intake clearance and potentially the header fitment, as well as trans tunnel clearance.
Not sure what mount plates you have used, but you could also re-drill the 3 holes for the motor mount and move the engine fore and aft to help with the oil pan.

What kind of throttle-body / elbow setup is that? It looks pretty tall. Quite a package to make it all fit, eh? Can be a real PITA.

Should be killer when you're done though, lookingn forward to seeing that!

PS. you're going to buy another balancer bolt, right? I thought they were "torque once - throw away" design?

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Im going to get a new balancer bolt for sure, I am using that old one to get the new balancer on. The balancer bolt took a 4 foot breaker bar to get off, I hope I didnt bend the crank snout! Not sure how else to have gotten it off.

The frame stands are from another V8 69 Impala. They do seem a little short, but they are the same as on my 2 door 69. Lots and lots of room between the bellhousing and firewall.

That is a carb. The blue line that looks like injector line is actually the oil feed for the turbo. I would like to do F.I. some day but it is just too much to deal with since I already know how easy a blow through carb is.

Should definitely be fun with the four speed once its on the road!

69 Impala 2 door
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

I got it on the road and drove it around a little. The stock LQ4 engine has ALOT more power than the typical stock 350 engine, I recommend this swap for sure even if keeping the engine totally stock. I do NOT recommend the truck oil pan, it is sitting even lower than I thought!!! Im going to pull the engine up and put a CTS-V pan under there soon.

69 Impala 2 door
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 01:33 PM

I believe the Cadillac CTS-V oil pan requires their bell housing to be used as the oil pan has four of the bell housing bolts go into the pan. A fourth generation Camaro-Fire Bird pan would probably be a better choice unless you are going to use a T-56 or a TKO 500 tranny sometime in the future. As to header fitment a set of shorty block hugging Camaro headers running to the top instead of down (reversed left for right) would be easier to work with for your turbo application. The truck manifold is the tallest of the three manifolds and the truck accessories will probably all fit using the stock brackets as they spread out to take advantage of the extra room under the hood compared to a Camaro or a 'vette.

The Corvette accessories are all low in the chassis which may be an issue as there is no room with a sloping hood and a reclining radiator found in the 'vette. The Camaro engine is generally the "Goldilocks" of the three motors as it has a manifold that fits under most hoods and the accessories all fit in a smaller package (which makes working on the car a pain). My ideal LS-x motor would be the new GMPP Z06 crate motor (427 cubic inches in an all aluminum motor that weighs less than a SBC but out puts 505 horsepower a 470 ft lbs of torque with a smooth idle and no noise and delivers 28 mpg in a Corvette) for about $14,000 complete (less the fuel pump that goes in your gas tank), and ready to run (it uses the CTS oil pan).

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/En...2397&engCat=ls

Big Dave
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Here it is all finished up, these new style engines are good runners stock. I have to do bodywork and get it painted for real, it is spray paint right now.

69 Impala 2 door
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 10:03 PM

Another option is the World Products LS-SBC standard looking block that is cast to accept the new LS-x heads but retain all small block chevy accesories that you would normally use with a smmall block Chevy.

http://www.worldcastings.com/product...ron-block.html

Best of both worlds.

Big Dave
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Other than sbc oilpan and accessories, what does that get you? If you can afford $2k for that block, then the LS oilpan and accessory costs shouldnt bother you, plus with the LS you get 6 bolt mains. I wonder what the point of that is.

69 Impala 2 door
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 10:59 PM
BA.

I giggle like a school girl at the thought of you turbo-charging that LS motor in a 4-door with vinyl top.

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 08:22 PM

I would love to see some detail shots of how you did the exhaust. Are you using the truck manifolds? Which acc. drive are you using?
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA. View Post
I giggle like a school girl at the thought of you turbo-charging that LS motor in a 4-door with vinyl top.
The worlds fastest 69 4 door! Probably the worlds only 69 4 door still on the road. I bought a 2 door 69 Caprice after this 4 door but decided the body is so rusty I'd put everything in the 4 door and see if I get around to fixing the body on the 2 door and switch everything over. Im not too excited about it though so who knows I might just leave it all in the 4 door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpalaSam View Post
I would love to see some detail shots of how you did the exhaust. Are you using the truck manifolds? Which acc. drive are you using?
It is two passenger side truck manifolds and Corvette accessory drive. The driver side one is flipped upside down and backwards with the turbo mounted on it, and the drivers side is just mounted backwards and the crossover goes under the balancer and back up to the turbo. I can take some more pics if you want. Thanks

69 Impala 2 door
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 04:58 PM

I'm planning to do the same thing to my 66 Caprice

1966 Caprice project
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 04:38 PM

I'm putting a 5.3L in my 68SS. What did you end up doing for steering? I have to get some clearance for a pan but still the centerlink hit way before it was even close.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Which oil pan do you have? Mine fit fine as far as the centerlink was concerned, my problem was the crossmember. I used a truck oil pan, it is very deep, but the deep part is very short front to back.

69 Impala 2 door
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 08:54 AM

I have the stock truck pan. I also have the tall mounts and i got the front to fit fine with a little cutting. but the centerlink would hit the front 1-2 inches of the pan... I'll check again tonight, maybe i had something in backwards. But do you know of any companies that make a rack and pinion conversion for the 68?
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 02:44 PM

Send a message via MSN to Heartofthacity
Hey im doing an LS6 swap into my 68 impala ss, im gonna be picking your brain this winter so be ready post some pics of the swap too please...and let me know if you need any parts for you 69, i have a stash over here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page