what do u think - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to cgcaraudio
what do u think

i got a 1962 impala, some guy wants to sell me a 90 something caprice wagon with lt1 5.7 what would it take to put this in my 62 impala do i need alot of parts or can i get everything from the wagon email me tell me what you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 08:51 PM

Chris it would be a piece of cake to transfer everything from the 1990 Caprice Wagon to your 1962 Impala. With the exception of the rear end. You would have to carefully cut off all of your old mounting brackets (a plasma torch was invented just to do this type of job). then carefully weld those brackets onto the clean rear end where you have practiced cutting and grinding brackets by removing every bracket off of the 8.5" ten bolt rear end that has the anti skid brake system built into the rear axels.

You have to transfer everything including the radiator, the master cylinder and all of the plumbing beneath it, the front spindles, head light bulbs; everything. Every part on the 1990 except for the sheet metal will be transferred to your 1962 Impala as the 1990 car utilizes an electrical sensor and computer control system that monitors everything imaginable in your 1990 donor car including the instrument panel light bulbs (if one burns out the cruise control will no longer work and you get a check engine light).

Why would you want to? Because an EFI 350 will make lots of power, run on swill and bad gas doesn't phase it as it senses it isn't burning properly and will change the fuel to air ration and the timing (on newer cars it even changes the motors cam phasing) so that you never know anything is wrong and drive along in blissful joy. The motor lasts longer than older cars (a 150,000 mile motor has the wear pattern of a 25,000 mile carbed engine that ran back in the early sixties), it doesn't leak oil, and it gets better mileage than your smaller 283 even though it makes more power. Wiring will be interesting as the cars from the factory have spaghetti running everywhere which doesn't bother me but for people who are minimalists and feel engines run best if you can not see a single wire anywhere it will be a monumental challenge as there are 27 different sensors on the motor alone over and above the wiring you have on your car now. All of those wires are powered by a new CS style alternator which is a real plus because that style alternator makes all of it's rated power from idle on up.

The 4L65e transmission found in the 1990 Caprice wagon will require a new cross-member to bolt into your car and you will have to shorten the drive shaft a bit as well but it will fit in the trans tunnel without any cutting that I am aware of. Finally you will have to run a return line to your gas tank and install the fuel pump and pick-up tube assembly in your old tank as the EFI uses a much higher line pressure to feed gas to the TBI injectors.

I think this will be an interesting challenge but a rewarding one. It will be legal in every state so far as pollution laws go and will improve the cars performance (if not it's value as some might consider it sacrilegious).

If all you want is the motor that works also; but you will have to strip off all of the EFI hardware and install an aftermarket regular manifold and carburetor with a new HEI small cap distributor as the stock HEI is computer controlled and will not work alone.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to cgcaraudio
its not a 1990 its like 94 and up

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 06:09 PM

Still fits; but you're now talking about a small block Chevy generation II motor (not to be confused with the 18 degree staggered valve SB2.2 race engine from NASCAR Cup racing). The Gen II engine is EFI only and has a distributor sticking out of the timing cover instead of the back of the block. It can be installed as you find it as a sequential fire port injection EFI or you can convert it over to a carburetored engine with a new manifold (could be a Vortec so be careful of the head bolt patern) and stab in a HEI distributor in the back of the block where the stub oil pump drive resides now.

Big Dave
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 12:26 AM

The quickest, cheapest and most efficient way to do this would be to get
the guest room ready...stock up on meat/beer....and send Big Dave a plane ticket...what I would do, anyway....lol.

1965 Bel Air
2004 Tahoe
Honey the garage is mine, you get the rest.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 07:36 PM

If youre gonna do all that work wouldn't a LS motor be a WAY BETTER option then a LT1

1966 Caprice project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page