What cam for my 327" ? - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

What cam for my 327" ?

Hi!

I am looking for a new camshaft kit for my 1969 Impala. What is the best choice for this pretty stock setup:

327 SBC @ 235 Hp - 3927185 heads
4 Barrel q-jet on performer intake
Full length headers on 2,5" exhaust system
Stock powerglide and differentials.

I Have considered Performer plus, but everybody drives that. What about Lunati camshaft, it is cheap!

As you can guess, i am not looking for horsepower.. More torque, better sound and economy. What about a cam made for 4x4 vehicles?

Greetings from Denmark!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 05:44 PM

Yes a Lunati grind is great (VooDoo or RV cam is a good choice). Just be sure to get a full roller cam and not a flat tappet cam as the motor oil available today won't work with a flat tappet. The aftermarket retro fit tie bar roller tappet is available as either a hydraulic or solid cam (I prefer to use a solid roller cam myself). Be sure to replace your valve springs and your push rods and push rod guide plates when you buy a new cam (again your buying new so buy a 3/8th diameter push rod instead of the stock 5/16th inch diameter). Buy the premium (best) spring recommended by the cam seller as whether you buy a hydraulic or solid cam, as springs are what makes or brakes your experience.

Don't be affraid of a solid cam. It will have a more aggresive acceleration rate to open a valve faster and hold it off the seat longer than the same grind number in a hydraulic cam. The reported you have to adjust the valves every month is greatly exagerated. The only reason to adjust a solid cam's valve lash is to compensate for wear. Since I am advocating a solid roller (something only serious racers used to consider) and not a flat tappet, which did wear rapidly under the higher seat pressure of the valve springs used by a solid cam. Once a solid roller is adjusted it stays adjusted for six months of daily driving before you have to even check the lash (which I find is still spot on). Only down side to a solid roller is the cams do not have a lot of mild grinds starting about the middle of the hydraulic roller page.

Big Dave
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

So you think this will be the best choice --> http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-10020LK/

What about the rocker arms, can i use stock?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 10:39 PM

Great cam choice. If you are using old heads (not the Vortec style) yes you can reuse your rockers after verifying the slot is long enough not to bind on the rocker stud as that cam has good lift numbers.

Big Dave
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 10:58 PM
BA.

that is a good cam but IMO, I think it's a little on the big side for your combo, and I do like Lunati cams.
The reason i think it's a little big is that you're still running that Powerglide tranny which is like taking off in 2nd gear, and those heads you have are, well,...extremely pedestrian with small ports, and a large chamber....which means low compression. Cams and compression are closely tied so that you build proper dynamic compression without soggyness or detonation.

That being said, I think you'd be happier with a cam with between 202 and 210 duration.
OH, and be sure to look for a "Retrofit" kit so that it can be properly installed into your old block which wasn't originally designed for a roller cam.

Another thought would be to get a regular ol flat tappet cam (similar size as above),....and use the saved money to get a 3 speed or 4 speed tranny. (auto of course)
*DISCLAIMER: Always use a proper break-in oil and oil with high zinc content on flat-tappet cam engines.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Lets say i stick to flat tappet cam, cause i am planning on selling the car. Wich Lunati cam will be the best for me?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 06:56 PM

If you are sticking flat tappet (which is fine), just make sure you use a ZDDP additive. GM EOS is one source, or Lucas TB Zinc Plus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page