gauges in '65 - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

gauges in '65

i hate having my gauges mounted on a panel screwed to the dash (hanging down), so I decided to build my own...that and i broke my clear plastic speedo cover when i was doing some rewiring earlier this year . i say prototype because i've already determined that i'm going to build another one because this one was off a little when the gaugle holes were drilled. i also didn't realize that the opening of the speedometer was that much larger on the passenger side than the driver side, enough to notice once you have a reference point inside. i already had the gauges and the sheet metal was fairly inexpensive & easy to work with. the smallest (electronic) speedo i can find is a 3 1/8 for a bike. the smallest/correct sports comp gauge is 3 3/8 -too big IMO - about an 1" of the gauge might be hidden plus i would have to spend about $300 just to see if its feasible. the gauges in the pics below are 2 5/8. i suppose i could buy a 2 1/8 volt for the left side, but then i would have 3 spare volt gauges...lol

wadda yall think? i'm looking for any kind of feedback or suggestions

i didn't like the sheet metal look, so i painted it flat black:

what i'm trying to replace/avoid:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 04:03 PM

I put all of my AutoMeter Competion mechanical gauges on top of the dash as I can not see the dash when I drive. (my eye level is even with the sun visor and you can tell it's my car by the greasy stain where my hair rubs the headliner).

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
my eye level is even with the sun visor
guess that's why they call ya Big Dave

looks like you're using an elect speedo, which converter are you using & did you get a new (shorter) speedo cable made? thanks!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ping2lo View Post
guess that's why they call ya Big Dave

looks like you're using an elect speedo, which converter are you using & did you get a new (shorter) speedo cable made? thanks!
Electric AutoMeter speedo and TCI super street fighter 3400 RPM converter (my third one under my one year warranty so I have to baby this one untill I buy a better one).

Big Dave
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 10:21 AM

Nick Scavo's 65 Impala dash.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page