1966 bbc Caprice header selection - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

1966 bbc Caprice header selection

I have a 66 caprice 427 and a close tolerance saginaw steering box. Is there any clearance problems with a set of heddman headers as they suggest in there write up specs? what headers are you others using in your 427 impalas or caprice coupes? send me a quick email comments please. [email protected].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 07:57 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Throck
The only headers that I have found that work without massaging are the Hooker Suoer Comps - but not for the Impala. The ones designed for a first generationn Camaro work the best. I just bought a set of 65-70 Impala specific coated headers from Summit and they were not even close to right on the driver side. Once I massaged the steering box clearance, I found the pitman arm was too close. Good thing for me that Summitt is a stand-up company, because they still gave me a full refund despite the new shape of the number 5 tube We happened to have a set of Hooker Super Comp drag headers in the shop from a 69 Camaro, so we tried them on and they fit beautifully without a single swing of the hammer.

68 Impala Sportsroof w/ numbers matching 396/TH400/12 bolt - 53K miles
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 09:43 AM

There are no specific headers made for an Impala (you are kidding yourself if you think manufactures build them for such a small market). What the manufactures do is build a set of headers by hand and then after the pipes are bent by robots and then welded together by robots and painted by robots they test fit them into a STOCK car body by bolting them onto a STOCK motor. By STOCK I mean using the factory motor mounts and stands to bolt in your non-factory installed motor with the factory available transmission options using the factory linkage at a factory specified ride height using stock wheels and factory specified tire sizes (as all three affect ground clearance if you change any of the above three from stock).

If the motor fits it is listed in the catalog as being just great for your car. If it doesn't fit they still list it in the catalog as fitting your car, but put a foot note telling you what the problem is (what it hit, or what factory options won’t work with their headers such as A/C). So read the foot notes.

The only way to get a custom fit for a custom application is by buying a custom header from Lemon's or any other custom header manufacturer (he has "custom" headers sitting on his shelf ready to deliver to you if your custom one of a kind car is just like all of the other custom one of a kind cars that has a problem with header fitment because of aftermarket parts (you have to list every part you have on the car to get a set of his headers or ship the car to his shop)). But odds are you are not the first person to lower your car and stick wide oversized tires on it with aftermarket angle plug raised port aluminum heads.

Well there is one other way to get custom headers and it is what I generally duo with my cars as I like them to be able to both breathe and to be very, very quiet as I am hunting unsuspecting car nuts who think their car is faster than mine. He he he (as in Elmer Fudd hunting wabbits). That is to buy from your favorite header manufacturer a custom header kit. They are cheap and easy to use.

A custom header kit consist of two header flanges and a box full of bent tubes in the shape of 45, 90. and 180 degree bends. The lengths of the pipes can be added to with straight tubing found at your local auto parts store or you can do what I do and take it a muffler shop that specializes in hot rods or loud fast Harley Bikes (you will have better luck finding the biker working in the muffler shop than say Chip Foose). In Tampa, a medium sized city, there are three shops that I have used in the past to make a custom exhaust for seven different cars. It cost me the same as a set of headers bought from Lemons (about $2,000) but it is gas tight and fully welded from the header collector flange to the stainless steel Bow Tie exhaust tip which is my trade mark of a custom built car.

Big Dave

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 08:28 AM

I used the Hooker 2457 ceramic coated and I love them. Lots of other guys have had the same experience. They clear everywhere and I have power steering, brakes and factory air. It is a little close at a couple of the plug wires, but I have never burned any. I have 2" drop spindles and I still have never scraped them. The primary tubes are probably a little large for a mild engine which costs me a little bottom end, but that is not a big issue for me. Hooker does use the same header for Camaro but not Chevelle.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 01:12 PM

I have headman headers on mine with a 396. There is one pipe that needed a small dent put in it to make them clear the steering. I will try to get some pics up.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 11:06 PM

I have had hedman and also couple sets of hooker 2457 with the ceramic coating the coating did not hold up very well and started to "blister" thru. I did "temper" them as they suggested but still had issues. Those tubes are kinda big so the set i'm currently running now are Flowtech that have 1 7/8" tubes and 3 1/2" collectors.Have had them a couple of years so far so good and no fitment issues.
Steven
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys for all the info. Least now i do have a choice on what to do. I think having them custom fitted and welded will be the turn of action i choose. Ill post my results when i have my conversion completed. God bless i know a good welder and he is also a car buff to boot. a few brown bottles will be much cheaper than most shops.....hahahahaha...thanx again..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page