What Exhaust size should i use? - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

What Exhaust size should i use?

In my 67 impala, i currently have the single factory exhaust and am swapping the 327 for a 400 would duel 2.5 inch exhaust be good for that engine or should i go bigger? Also, were can i get a set of pipes for my year with no mufflers so i can put my own choice of muffler on them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 09:32 PM

The factory used 2 inch exhaust pipe on all of it's sixes and small V-8's. High horse small blocks had dual 2-1/4 inch exhaust pipe, and big blocks and SS cars got the dual exhaust with 2-1/2 inch pipes with resonators after the muflers with chromed tips.

If you want it to be louder than that (factory stock) you can go with a 3-1/2 inch exhaust or a custom oval 4 inch pipe. Diesel trucks all use shiney chromed six inch pipes but the exhaust also points straight up for a reason, as it is barely muffled at all with that size pipe.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 09:52 PM

Find a local shop that does exhaust. Most shops will do duels for around $200. And they will install your mufflers at the same time. 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inch pipe is normal.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 12:15 PM

A 2.5 in dual system should be plenty good. If you are not concerned about stock appearance, you can add a cross over pipe or have an X pipe designed in to the new system. The stock manifolds will probably become your limitation.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 01:44 AM

I bought a Flowmaster kit for my 64. 2.5inch mandrel bend duals with mufflers. Looks sweet, sounds sweet and its already bent for the x frame etc. Install at the muffler shop was 3 hrs labour
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 04:41 PM

Not sure if your still lookin for exhaust or not. I had really good luck using "Pypes" brand X pipe on my 67. Was cheap, fit really well, worked perfect on my long tube Hookers, and went far enough back that all i did was throw on some SLP loudmouth 2s and turn downs and it dumps right at the rear axle. Everything tucks up nicely, and Im using the 3" set up due to my big block. A 2.5" would be perfect on your car!! Great deal and no custom fab needed. They also offer a complete system if you want tailpipes too http://www.pypesexhaust.com/sys-gmb.html. As for mufflers, I highly recomend using "SLP" mufflers! The Loudmouth 2s flow like crazy and have a deep, unique classic "chambered style" sound rather then flowmasters like everyone else, and none of the Loudmouth 1s drone.

Im a diehard Classic GM guy. Nothing beats the beauty, power, and style of great american engineering!! '67 Impala w/ 502 BBC, 505h.p.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page