T56 in a 62? - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

T56 in a 62?

Got a t56 tranny laying around in my shop, planned to put it in another project but are now curious if I could put it in my '62?
Anyone out there who's done so?

What I think is an issue is the driveshaft, or should I change to a onepice shaft? The driveshaft tunnel is already modified in the rear for clearance(you can litterally lay the car on the frame), so it wouldn't be a shame to modify it a little more.

Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 12:44 PM

Is it a 93-96 F body T56 or a later LS1 style bellhousing?

I would definitely go to a one piece shaft. Remember, with the .5 6th OD of the T56, you can get into some pretty high driveshaft speeds on the highway.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 12:54 PM

Your suspension travel will dictate whether you can get away with a one piece drive shaft or not. You have to consider total suspension travel (is the car slammed to the ground?) and the amount of room you will have inside the box that forms the cross in the X-frame. If you want a one piece you may have to modify the frame by opening up the box and adding in pieces to form an inverted tent for clearance (wouldn't hurt to stiffen the frame while you where at it).

Big Dave

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

I kinda figured these answers....

The car is built by previeous owner as a really low cruiser(though it was quite amateur modified, wich I improved).
It's a 93-96 housing.
The frame is already modified with a higher kickup, bottom parts of the X is damaged by lowriding, scraped against the asphalt so I planned to reinforce that as well. Maximum ride height is just about 100mm's lower than standard, lowest is......a millimeter or so clearance to the frame.......
I might just open the driveshaft tunnel and do the right thing immediately.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 07:46 PM

Just keep in mind that all of the forces in the car go through that box. It was designed to bend to yeild an incredibly soft ride (marketing refered to it as a "jet smooth" ride with power steering that allowed a lace gloved old lady to park a two ton car with her pinky finger (no feed back from the tires what so ever). If you have ever watched Hayden Proffitt racing or Mr. 409 you would know how much the stock frame twists. I also used to watch Dave Strickland race his car but it was mostly fiberglass with a rectangular steel tube frame, so it launched straight and even without any twisting.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page