1962 283 head upgrade ? - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to cgcaraudio
1962 283 head upgrade ?

hi everyone i want to upgrade my heads on my factory 1962 impala 283 sb what heads can i put on that wont take any modifations , some told me 305 head would fit what do you think !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 07:27 PM

All small block Chevy heads will bolt on to your block. However SBII heads (reversed cooling LT-1 or LT-4 motors found in 1994-'96 Impala SS cars) will bolt up to the block, but will have a big internal coolant leak if used.

Any thing else advertised as fitting a SBC head will bolt up as Chevy took their 1953 design and improved it without making any changes drastic enough to keep them from being used right up to 2001 when the last cast iron SBC was made.

The Vortec style heads made after 1987 will also bolt up, but you have to use everything off of a Vortec style motor (distinguished by the center bolt valve covers) such as the rockers, valve covers, and the special Vortec style intake manifold.

Your stock 283 has either a plain unadorned rectangle on the ends of the heads (stock 1955 head design), or a single triangle on top of the rectangular base (Power Pack heads introduced in 1957). Another popular head used on older cars is the Fuelie head or "Camel Hump" head that has two small half circles on top of the base rectangle. There are a lot of other heads that have small squares or L shaped casting marks but all are a variation on the fuelie head sharing either intake ports or valve size. After 1971 the combustion chambers started growing larger from Chevy's original 64 cc size to 70 cc then 74 cc and again opening up to a larger to 78 cc size to drop compression to reduce NOx gases and CO emissions.

The 305 and it's unloved cousin the 262 cubic inch had their own heads with smaller ports, smaller combustion chambers and smaller valves sized to feed a smaller motor. They are not particularly famous for their deep breathing capabilities. The reverse of course is also true with the SBC 400 head which is basically a 1.94 inch intake valve high performance fuelie head casting with big 74 cc chambers.

Here is a casting mark guide that outlines the virtues of various SBC heads.

http://www.fastnuf.com/Headguide.html

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
The 305 and it's unloved cousin the 262 cubic inch had their own heads with smaller ports, smaller combustion chambers and smaller valves sized to feed a smaller motor. They are not particularly famous for their deep breathing capabilities.
267, not 262

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 01:49 AM

Look for the '601' casting head that was used on late 70's 305s. They have a small chamber around 56cc but the intake valves are bigger at 1.84" instead of the 1.72" on the 283.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 09:11 PM

I have ran vortecs on my 283. It was rather painless. But, yes you do need to change a few things like intake, valve covers. But, I would recommend having the screw in studs added so that you run higher lift cams. Presently, out of the box, they aren't rated for cam running more that .5 lift. Ironically the early performance Duntov cams (which is an excellent grind) never had .5 lift. The kidney bean combustion chambers of the vortecs raise compression but nothing radical. 283 was maybe at 9:1 at best with standard heads. The recipe: Vortecs; screw in studs; mild port matching porting and smooth out bowls; maybe deck them a couple hundredths to boost compression a bit more.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 01:38 PM

You can buy Vortec heads (new units from Chevrolet Service Parts bin being resold by Summit Racing:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12558060/

Or you can buy the World Products Sportsman II heads can be purchased for

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WRL-011250-1/

The Sportsman II heads flow as well as the Vortec heads, use standard rather than special Vortec only parts that use a different bolt pattern. The Sportsman II heads will not be limited in valve lift (with longer stemed valves and taller springs you can run up to 0.950 inch lift if you want). You do not have to buy screw in studs or pay to have the heads machined to accept a stock small block valve spring so it isn't as limited in lift (as sold by Chevy it has a limit of 0.420", but it can be reworked to accept up to a 0.540 inch lift maximum).

Either head will wake up your small block though the 283 may be too small to take advantage of the large 200 cc ports of the Sportsma II heads.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page