Performance Exhaust Systems - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Performance Exhaust Systems

I am wanting to hear from anyone with a '65 or '66 big block car who is running 3" or 3.5" pipes with Hooker headers. Even '65 to ''70 I guess because the frame is the same through those years.

I just finished test fitting my Hookers on my '65 big block Biscayne and the fit like a glove. Very happy with that part of the set up

When I looked under the car I noticed that they fit nice and close to the floor. Very happy about that too.

What I do notice now is the header flanges sit about 6 inches or so to the outside of the exhaust pipe bends in the stock transmission crossmember.

Has anyone installed an exhaust kit with an X pipe, H pipe or just straight shots to the mufflers and ran their pipes under the bends of the tranny crossmember or did the pipes have to go under the straight part of the crossmember and not in line with the crossmember bends.

Yes, I know any competent muffler shop can put some duals on that will fit but I would prefer a kit that I can install myself, the way I like to everything I possibly can.

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated, even if you had a muffler shop do yours, I would like to know how your pipes route past the crossmember.

Cheers

TIME IS SPEED... SPEED IS TIME...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 03:08 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Throck
Karl,
I have a 68 and used the PYPES X-pipe setup http://www.pysales.com/iw_products.m...48?company=ppe . I put it on myself, then took it to a muffler shop too have the fitment adjusted a little because they exited just a little further out that I wanted, but other than that it was fairly easy considering that I had to do it it with a floor jack and stands in my garage.

What was the part number of the header that you used? I am shopping for headers now as well and have already sent one set back and would be interested something that is known to fit.

Take care,
Scott

68 Impala Sportsroof w/ numbers matching 396/TH400/12 bolt - 53K miles
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Hi Scott,

I have Hooker Competition part #2457 HKR and like I said they fit like a glove. I also have manual steering and standard floor shift.

I looked at some Pypes systems but again, I was wondering how the routed under the tranny crossmember.

Thanks for the input pal...

Cheers

TIME IS SPEED... SPEED IS TIME...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 12:53 AM

69 Caprice with dual 3" with an X-pipe. I run Hooker Super Comps (huge) and they don't fit the best. And to top it off they hang down quite a bit. But, I knew what I was getting into.

I had my 3" exhaust fabricated at a speed shop. They used all mandrel bends (no kinks). My crossmember is also fabricated, so I can't help you there. The X ended up about 12" behind the transmission mount. I used Flowmaster 70 series (large) that made everything a tight fit. The exhaust runs all the way to the bumper. The car is pretty quiet, but has a nice tone to it. Years of running super turbo mufflers with dumps made me want something quiet (and that didn't rattle the interior or my head) driving down the road.

I did try a 3" bolt on kit...It was from Torque Tech (several years ago), and it didn't fit what-so-ever. So, go with a recommended kit.

Andy

1969 Caprice
427/335HP TKO-600
[email protected] mph
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 11:09 PM

I know this one has been dead for a while, but does anyone have pictures of their fabricated crossmembers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page