Drag racing Impalas? - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Drag racing Impalas?

How many on this site have an Impala that they take to the track, and actually like bracket or heads up racing in a B-body?

I have two 96 Impala's and a 96 Caprice Wagon that I race in a dedicated Impala bracket racing series. I also like to heads up race in my race only 96, which has a 496 BBC and runs mid to low 10's NA at over 4,000 lbs. I've run 9.69 @ 143 on a 200 shot pedaling it out of the hole. I'm hoping to get it into the low 9's on a 350 shot with the help of a progressive controller.

Anyway, I'm here to find other B-body drag racers that might be interested in becoming part of the Impala racing action on the East Coast. There is a great group of B-body enthusiasts in NY, PA, DE, MD, NJ as well as up in NE and down South. We're hoping to grow the family by including all year Impala and Caprice. It would really be great to see some of the older models at the track and in the lanes with us at the ECIRS.

Support your local Impala SS Racing clubs... http://www.ecirs.org/
Northern Super Heavy Shootout - http://nshs1.ecirs.org/
March 31, 2012 at Cecil County Dragway in Rising Sun Md.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 03:31 PM

I built a 1985 that will run a 9.36 but it isn't exactly NHRA legal (my entire list of safety equipment is an SFI damper and flexplate). Still have the original ketchup soaked seat belts and everything else in the car is stock except for the power train (that I have modified a bit) and suspension parts which are mostly recycled truck parts (such as my Dana 60 rear end). I have another 1989 Caprice that will run 11.62 that has a SBC 406 under the hood with a 3.73 posi, but that was my daily driver before I broke the starter off the block.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 10:21 AM

Getting mine ready for street/strip right now, I'm going with a 700r4 with a stall over my stalled Th400, Just b.c 1st gear is lower and I get the over drive since I have low rearend gears it might help a Lil with the MPG

-1970 Impala: LSx/th350/12bolt/4:10

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

hey guys, just a quick update, and I apologize for speaking too soon before. The ECIRS has been an exclusive series for 91-96 (7th Gen) B-bodies. I thought it was going to open up to all models, just as the ISSCA organization had done a couple years ago. But that is not going to happen for ECIRS this year. Maybe next year, but I can't really say.

However, the ECIRS is hosting the Northern Super Heavy Shootout, which is open to all cars, trucks and SUV's that weight 4,000 lbs or more with driver. It would be great to see some old school Impalas at the event. Anyone have a 63 Impala SS 427 Mark II survivor that I can borrow?

March 31, 2012
Cecil County Dragway, Rising Sun Maryland

Support your local Impala SS Racing clubs... http://www.ecirs.org/
Northern Super Heavy Shootout - http://nshs1.ecirs.org/
March 31, 2012 at Cecil County Dragway in Rising Sun Md.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page