Intake Manifold choice - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Intake Manifold choice

Im almost done with the motor and about ready to order my intake, Im going to be using the car as a Street/Strip the car will be driving more on the street then the strip but im looking for some low-mid-high RPM power/Tq... Heres my build

Block:
350 .030 Over
Stock Crank
Stock Rods
Speed-Pro 10.06 CR pistons (flat top two relief)
Comp Magnum 280H Cam

Heads:
Vortec
Comp beehive valve springs, Keepers,Retainers, etc
Stainless steel valves
7angle valve job
Port and polished

Carb:
Edelbrock 600-650 CFM

Trans:
4l60: 2000-2300 Stall

Rear end:
GM 12 bolt W/ 4:10 Gears

My goal is 400 plus HP, Id like to get my TQ into the 400s also

Thanks
-Phil

-1970 Impala: LSx/th350/12bolt/4:10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 11:12 AM

The RPM Air Gap for Vortec heads from Edelbrock (part # 75163) would be my choice. You get the benifit of a dual plane that flows nearly as well as the Victo Jr. High rise single plane manifold (made with four horsepower of the Victor Jr with more torque).

Big Dave
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 02:13 PM
BA.

I'm with Dave.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Awesome, I might have to run that, I had a air gap for my vette heads but sold it to start this motor project, would summits stage 3 air gap style do the same?

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolPala View Post
Awesome, I might have to run that, I had a air gap for my vette heads but sold it to start this motor project, would summits stage 3 air gap style do the same?
I have no idea. The Edelbrock manifold was the first to be designed by a computer using wet flow simulation, robots then carved the molds and cope before blowing in the plasticized sand used for the casting. Then the raw aluminum castings were CNC'd machined in a five axis machine center. The first time a human touches the manifold is when it is inspected and debured before packaging.

The knock-off's of the Air Gap manifold are just that, copies of another's work, made over seas by hand, by someone who isn't concerned for intellectual property rights, or anything else. What you get is cheap copy. To my knowledge it has not been tested to see if it is a good copy; all we know is it is a cheap copy. The Edelbrock is made in the USA which explains why it costs more because the guy who packages the manifold makes more per hour than the crew of men who made the part in China where every one labors sixty hours a week for $17.00 because they live in a communist society that provides everything they need to exist.

Big Dave
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Very true, the reason I asked b.c my buddy is running summits on his T/A

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Ordered the goods tonight... Should be here Friday, Ordered the 270H cam instead, should fit the build a Lil better

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Alright, so the guy I talked to on the phone from summit said the 28Oh with valve train kit wouldn't work with my Vortec heads so he said he would change the kit... So he did and changed it to a 270H... Should I just send the kit back and call comp and have them put the kit I want togather? Or just run this kit? If it will make over 400hp with my set up and have a choppy idle I'll keep it

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 05:07 PM

Have you considered the approach that BMW uses in their sports cars to get your lumpy idle?

The reason the 280H was not going to work is unless you remachine the Vortec head to include a larger dual valve spring pocket, install larger, taller valve springs, longer stemed valves to match the taller springs, machine the valve stem cast iron guide to accept Perfect Circle after market valve stem oil seals, cut the push rod guide slots, install screw in studs for adjustable rocker arms, buy self guided roller rockers, install a raised push rod guide plate and measure for and buy longer push rods (might as well upgrade them to 3/8th inch chromemoly while your at it) then you can not have a cam with that much valve lift.

Big Dave

Last edited by Big Dave; 02-17-2012 at 05:29 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Didnt think of that, thanks big Dave, so should I just keep this set up? Do u think it would meet my goal?

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 10:26 PM

The other part of my post refers to what BMW is doing with their cars. They have powerful quiet motors that in order to sound like their customer desires it to sound plays a motor noises through the stereo of a computer generated engine sound so you can have good performance and the varoom of the base ball cards in the spokes of your Schwinn flyer bicycle.

Having raced cars I know why they sound the way they do and known how a lumpy cam adversely affects a motors performance on the street. The two are mutually exclusive and are basically incompatible with street driving except as BMW does it. Which is something I suggested a decade ago when ridiculously loud stereos came into being. You could be driving a VW beetle with a 35 horse sewing machine for a motor and broadcast the sound track of John Force's 500 cubic inch 9,000 horsepower motor and draw a great crowd and impress all your friends. No one would be the wiser.

Big Dave
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
I have no idea. The Edelbrock manifold was the first to be designed by a computer using wet flow simulation, robots then carved the molds and cope before blowing in the plasticized sand used for the casting. Then the raw aluminum castings were CNC'd machined in a five axis machine center. The first time a human touches the manifold is when it is inspected and debured before packaging.

The knock-off's of the Air Gap manifold are just that, copies of another's work, made over seas by hand, by someone who isn't concerned for intellectual property rights, or anything else. What you get is cheap copy. To my knowledge it has not been tested to see if it is a good copy; all we know is it is a cheap copy. The Edelbrock is made in the USA which explains why it costs more because the guy who packages the manifold makes more per hour than the crew of men who made the part in China where every one labors sixty hours a week for $17.00 because they live in a communist society that provides everything they need to exist.

Big Dave
I agree 100%!

1968 Chevrolet Impala Custom - All original, 327/TH400
1969 Chevrolet SWB Fleetside - Pro-Street built by me, 454/TH400, Eaton Posi, 3.73
1989 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 - Daily Driver
1996 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 - Campin, 4-wheelin
1996 Chevrolet S10 SWB - 305/200R, Tradin material
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
... in China where every one labors sixty hours a week for $17.00 because they live in a communist society that provides everything they need to exist.

Big Dave
The beatings, torture and lack of freedoms we take for granted are just "no cost extras" the government provides to make sure you don't complain about your substandard housing, dangerous working conditions and near slave labor existence.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcairns View Post
The beatings, torture and lack of freedoms we take for granted are just "no cost extras" the government provides to make sure you don't complain about your substandard housing, dangerous working conditions and near slave labor existence.
Well things have changed, even in China. Average wage there now is 57 cents an hour in heavy industry. A lot less for females and children working in the textile industry.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page