1963 impala headers or manifolds? - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

1963 impala headers or manifolds?

I have a 63 impala ss that I am building a motor for. It has AC and the drivers side alt.

The one choice I was looking at were the 2.5" ram horns all over ebay and speedway's site. I think these will mount the AC but I am not 100% sure

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Dorman...olds,9133.html

The other option would be some shorty headers, with the aftermarket mounts for the ac and alt. What ones have you used, how did they fit?

Any opinions? Long tubes are out, I don't want to deal with the fit issues. Just a cruiser with a 327 making around 325 horse.

Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 09:31 AM

On a mild motor, headers won't get you much till you get the RPMs way up there. Even then it is not a lot. If you are not inclined to fuss with headers, stick with the 2.5 manifolds, they work pretty good.

The difference between the 2 inch and 2.5 inch is more than it sounds like.

I seem to recall reading that with those Doorman manifolds you get two of the same (as pictured). So you either let the bracket stick back towards the firewall on the passenger side or grind it off. I think there is a cheap version of the 2.5 inch rams horn with out the bracket. I used expensive repros with correct casting numbers and such.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, it was actually your post that got me thinking about the ram horns. Do you know what the casting # is for a passenger side with AC? I keep seeing the 902 casting number as the ac one on forums, but every were I find it it comes back to a non AC vette motor.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

I have seen this part number referred to being for a 63 impala ss 300 horse with ac

3797902 Corvette 300, 340, 360, 365 & 375 HP 2.5" Outlet

But when I google it it comes up as this. Anybody know for sure if this is the right manifold for a 63 300 horse impala with ac?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 04:44 PM

Corvette parts were used on the full size Impala and vise-versa as the Corvette originally sprang from the full size Chevy.

Another alternative that isn't cheap but will work is sand honed exhaust manifolds used by circle track racers that like to read between the lines.

http://www.castheads.com/

Big Dave
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

The dorman manifolds are listed as having a mount on one side for an alt, and the other for a water tank per speedways website. I think that must mean both mounts are in front?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 12:37 PM

Manifolds. No additional heat,noise,fit issues etc. Those 2.5" will flow just like shorties if you port match them with the gaskets/heads.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 11:43 PM

it's what I'm running on my 65. easy to install, and no leaks. just need to run your spark plug wires along the underside to the engine. Just painted them with some high temp paint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page