383 small block 400hp - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

383 small block 400hp

Hi guys,

I just striped down my 350 that came out of a 81 vette would like to make 400hp I have a set of double hump heads off a 66 327 that have been ported and fitted with big valve also have air gap intake manifold and 670 street avenger carby. I have a few cam that I like but dont know if I would make 400hp with them. XE274H comp cam or 295TH7 comp cam.

going to use scat crank and rod speed pro flat top piston and 9 to 1 comp

what do you guys think.

Merry Christmas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-12-24-191.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	2788   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-12-24-193.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	2789  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 08:36 AM

I would suggest a modern head. Vortec, or aftermarket. You will have the potential for much more power.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 09:34 AM

I was able to get 470 out of my 383 using stock camel hump heads (large valve) and intake and block from a 327. You can do better with aftermarket intake and heads. Based on the dyno results, the engine is limited by the intake system (heads and intake manifold) as the change in exhaust does not make much difference.

Roller hydraulic lifters

Mild cam

Camel Hump heads

Looks perfectly stock on the outside

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

SO YOU USED A SMALL JORNAL 327 OR A LAGER JORNAL I have the 327 sj that came out of my 66 ss but need a crank thats why a got the 350 and going to 383 now. as for the heads I have already set them up so now going th use them. still don't know what cam to run maybe go with a hydraulic roller cam if make any more then 420hp thats mad cause its only a weekend cruiser

Merry xmas
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 04:09 PM

Yes, I used a small journal 327 block (1964 to go with the car). For me, stock appearance was very important, but I still wanted the power of the 383, so I was willing to go through some hoops to get there. Large journal caps were put on the block and then it was line bored to the large journal size, allowing the use of off the shelf 383 cranks, I used a forged crank. Once that was done, the usual clearancing was done to the block, same as you would do for a 350 block.

The other option was to turn down the crank or there are/were companies making small journal stroker cranks. Speed-o-motive used to have one on their website, but I have not seen it there lately.

Coupled with a 700r4, 3.73 rear gears and 245/60/14 tires, it is more power than grip off the line.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

thats a great look engine buddy I will just use the 350 block now and dress it up like the 327 only I will use a air gap manifold and 670 holley I have stock valve cover or a set of fined corvette covers thats I will get polished up. strip the 350 yesterday and looks like its a good clean starting point only 2 bolt main but am sure that it will be ok cam out of a 81 vette that some one had as a parts car here in australia. going to build it slow as I have a 305 in my impala at the moment will a cam and manifold no big hp but sound nice for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page