Low Perf Dilemma - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Low Perf Dilemma

Here's the scoop. Motor and trans came out of the 68 Fastback. 327 is getting a full treatment of new gaskets and paint. The Powerglide has given it's spot to a freshly rebuilt 200-4R. Everything in the engine compartment is original except the Quadrajet (swapped out under warrantee in 69). The plan was to make it back to factory stock appearance.

The dilemma is the more I look at the factory cast iron intake, the less urge I have to put it back on the car. The thing was designed to practically melt the carb (had major hot start issues even in cool weather). Also, the Quadrajet needs to get fully rebuilt and rebushed plus the TV cable hardware needs to be added.

I am really starting to consider throwing on a Performer intake painted orange and one of those new Street Demons. The whole intake should run cooler plus I don't mind the idea of electric choke.

The one big hangup is I dont want to hurt the value of a numbers matching car. Im thinking of cleaning up the manifold and carb and making them essentially bolt on if I ever want to go back.

Help me make up my mind, please!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 06:37 AM

It wont hurt you any to make the change just keep all the old parts. Personally I like holleys on chevys
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 10:29 AM

Personally I like Holley's on everything including EFI cars; but that is just my personal opinion it doesn't change the fact that all carbs work the same way, and that the only difference between any of them is the cfm rating (the motor can not tell you what brand is sitting on top of it).

As stated above "numbers matching" only has a dollar value at the point of sale. You can pull the whole 327 out, bag it and tag it, and then replace it with a freshly rebuilt 406 small block to get an average 500 horse, 450 foot pounds of torque motor that will really wake up your car's performance. Painted Chevy orange no one will notice the aftermarket aluminum heads or Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake manifold that flows as well as a Victor Jr manifold without any decrease in torque below 6,800 RPM. Some people have even take their aluminum heads to their local machinist and have the holes in the heads (1968 was the first year that they appeared) welded up and the front of the heads machined in a CNC mill to look just like fuelie heads under a coat of Chevy orange paint.

We also have a member on this board who built his 406 from the ground up as a reproduction 1965 small block. To accomplish this he had to bore a hole in the back of the block. He built his own oil separator out of a brass tube with holes in it to feed his PCV (the factory used a steel one that is still sold in reproduction as Corvette owners frequently follow this path of wanting a bigger newer power plant but looking original in their older 'vette). This allowed him to use the older style valve covers and an oil fill tube that was installed in a newer aluminum intake by boring a hole in the manifold and hammering in the fill tube (a lot of older aluminum manifolds had a flat spot cast but not machined). His 406 can now pass for a 275 horse 327, but is in fact a much more powerful motor.

Big Dave

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

The Street Demon is probably a Holley since they are owned by the same company

Not looking to get into a tire burner just yet. Just looking economy and reliability. I think I will go aftermarket.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 07:53 PM

This is the motor we did for our 67. Check our album here.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 08:07 PM

If you are looking for economy and reliability, you won't do better than a Q Jet. Get yours rebuilt (or do it yourself), and swap on an Edelbrock Performer. Not a big mod to the car, since it already has a different trans, an intake won't make a difference in "matching" value.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Ok, next question.

I have a line on a Performer RPM intake with the oil fill already installed down the street from me. I know the regular performer is what I need but budget is a concern. Is the RPM going to give up a ton down low? Will it be noticeable less than the stock intake down low?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 01:14 PM

If it's a good price, grab it. If you aren't changing the cam, you are still going to make power down low.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 07:22 AM
rlk

Smile manifold

if you want the original look and want to paint the engine like factory use a 14096242 bowtie manifold from gm. it is a cast iron copy of the aluminum winters z/28 used on the 68-69 camaros and the average person can look under the hood and don't even know what they are looking at! i have one on my 67 camaro and 72 c-10 ,also they have a dual bolt pattern you can run a q-jet or holley. if you search craigslist you can find them or you still buy them new ,remember the old saying back in the day if chevy don't make it you dont you need it
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlk View Post
if you want the original look and want to paint the engine like factory use a 14096242 bowtie manifold from gm. it is a cast iron copy of the aluminum winters z/28 used on the 68-69 camaros and the average person can look under the hood and don't even know what they are looking at! i have one on my 67 camaro and 72 c-10 ,also they have a dual bolt pattern you can run a q-jet or holley. if you search craigslist you can find them or you still buy them new ,remember the old saying back in the day if chevy don't make it you dont you need it
Thanks for the input as that is a cool intake. Problem is it does not have have a pad for the oil fill, its cast iron, and they are actually kinda pricey.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 10:52 AM
rlk

i did't pay over 85.00 dollars for any of the 3 i bought on craigslist!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alocker View Post
Thanks for the input as that is a cool intake. Problem is it does not have have a pad for the oil fill, its cast iron, and they are actually kinda pricey.
I wasn't aware that Chevy made a cast iron version. I thought all Z's had an aluminum manifold. Maybe it was for the 300 horse 327 that was installed in the Camaro as well as the high performance 302-350 Z/28's. If it is off of a 1968 it will have a fill tube installed. In 1969 Chevy went to the PCV in the valve covers and deleted the fill tube along with the PCV installed in the tube.

Big Dave
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 01:35 PM
rlk

they didnt make a cast one for the z's this is a copy of the 3917610 used on 67-68 302, remember i said it was a bowtie manifold.they will accept q-jet or holley. they were sold over the counter at your local chevy dealer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page