Who makes the BEST ignition module. - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Who makes the BEST ignition module.

I've had 3 ignition Modules fail in the past few years. Had one fail on me yesterday, got caught in a traffic jam, car idled for 45 minutes, temperature got up to 210, finally got on the interstate, thinking i got it made now, went about 50 yards and the motor just shut off, coasted off to the side of the road. About 2 hours later i highly suspected that the ignition module had puked. I had an extra one in the glove box, got it installed, and it fired right up. The one that failed was only 2 years old, made in USA. I notice pricing from 16.00 up to 50.00. Which one is the most reliable? Tired of replacing them. JimmyG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 12:12 AM

I myself rely upon MSD. I have two 6AL-Digital boxes and one 7AL-3 analog box I have had for fourteen years now. I can attest from working on other cars that they do not like heat (they have transistors inside the case and no transistor likes heat). They are also surprisingly intolerant of voltage spikes or changes in polarity (I understand the digital boxes being fussy as to voltage, but I expected better out of the analog box).

As to polarity that doesn't normally change as you would expect once it is hooked up. But not everyone knows how to jump off a car, and a lot have been fried that way.

I have also used Malory and Crane Cams Ignition boxes. Neither of these two products favorably impressed me with the Malory being the better of the two. I have no idea who makes the private house brand ignition boxes that are sold at a low price point by the major mail order houses but I suspect they are Chinese knock offs.

Big Dave
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 08:35 PM

If you are talking about HEI modules. Ive had the same one in my 65 for 20 years. Its a genuine GM module.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 11:22 PM

Well if we are talking HEI module (which is much closer the price range quoted for replacement parts) and not capacitive discharge modules, then your problem could be a bad ground (paint under distributor possibly), or excess heat. As I mentioned transistors hate heat and will die a horrible, if not rapid death, if they get too hot.

This can become an issue if you tac up the factory original HEI module. At revs above 4,600 RPM the factory HEI builds up heat faster than it can dissipate the heat to the points platform in the distributor. Adding a dab more dielectric heat paste helps but it needs a better heat sink. This is basically how an aftermarket HEI High Performance HEI module differs. They use better quality components on the board when build the module and before it is encapsulated they add a heat sink to move heat out of the module at a faster rate. Petronix, Accel, and MSD offer an aftermarket HEI module to fit in a GM distributor.

Big Dave
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 12:58 PM

When I ran the module, I tried to always get AC Delco or Champion. I have had them die at the most inappropriate times. Even changed one in the middle of an intersection when the car died halfway into a left turn and no one would help push the car, LA for you. I carried a spare and the screw driver and nut driver to change it out in my glovebox.

I now run an MSD 6AL box which eliminates the modules on HEI's.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

ignition module

I ordered the AC/DELCO ignition module today 39.00

Hope it lasts longer, only got 2 years out of the last one.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64ImpalaRed454 View Post
I ordered the AC/DELCO ignition module today 39.00

Hope it lasts longer, only got 2 years out of the last one.
Like Dave said, heat kills these things. The grease (I forget the name) that comes with the module needs to be used under it. Between the distributor and the module.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

grease

It's called silicone grease, i picked up the ac delco module today, it has something like a white grease which came with it, i'm going to use it all.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 01:15 PM

My Mallory module failed after about an hour. I replaced it with a cheap one from the local parts house and it is still working after 5 years. And yes, I keep another one in the glovebox.

Mike

1965 Impala SS 396
1967 SS427
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page