Smeding performance 383 - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Smeding performance 383

I came across Smeding Performance web site and they sell a few 383's that interest me. I am looking for more torque than my current 275 hp 327. Something in the low 400 lbs-ft range is where I would like to be. Not looking for high hp; 350+ will do.

The engine will go in my 63 Impala convertible.

Any experiences with Smeding?

Other sources for mild build 383?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 01:43 PM
BA.

I'm sure you already looked over the GM crate engine offerings, either at their website or at jegs.com or Summitracing.com
I bought a 383 from Blueprint Engines and it's almost identical to the Smeding 383, right down to the camshaft specs. I'm very happy with it so far, at about 1400 miles on it.

There are other crates at:
Scoggins-Dickey: www.sdparts.com
Blueprint Engines: www.blueprintengines.com
American Speed: www.amerspeed.com

Edelbrock sells them too! (but they are expensive) www.edelbrock.com

Also Speed-O-Motive at www.speedomotive.com (can't seem to get their website to come up though)

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 03:40 PM

Edelbrock utilizes a GMPP ZZ383 short block, but they use their own cam, heads, and intake on top of the brand new Chevy short block. I would prefer the GMPP ZZ383 crate engine (GM Part number 12498772) as it uses the Chevrolet Corvette "Fast Burn" heads, with their "Hot" cam, which I think are superior parts to those used by Edelbrock.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...umber=12498772

In addition to purchase price (always a concern) keep in mind the distinction between the warranty offered by GM and the guarantee offered by any one else. With the GMPP motor you take it to any authorized GM dealership and they will fix it or replace it for free on the spot. With any one else you have to either fix it out of pocket and file an insurance claim for reimbursement; or you wait for the manufacturer to examine your claim and possibly pay shipping twice to send in the engine for repair and return. That is a big difference in service support.

Big Dave

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I am gathering info and all is appreciated.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Edelbrock utilizes a GMPP ZZ383 short block, but they use their own cam, heads, and intake on top of the brand new Chevy short block. I would prefer the GMPP ZZ383 crate engine (GM Part number 12498772) as it uses the Chevrolet Corvette "Fast Burn" heads, with their "Hot" cam, which I think are superior parts to those used by Edelbrock.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...umber=12498772

In addition to purchase price (always a concern) keep in mind the distinction between the warranty offered by GM and the guarantee offered by any one else. With the GMPP motor you take it to any authorized GM dealership and they will fix it or replace it for free on the spot. With any one else you have to either fix it out of pocket and file an insurance claim for reimbursement; or you wait for the manufacturer to examine your claim and possibly pay shipping twice to send in the engine for repair and return. That is a big difference in service support.

Big Dave
I have the gmpp is on my list. Will my rams horn manifolds bolt on to the fast burn heads?

Back in the day I bought a '63 Impala used in 1968. It had the single 4 bbl, hydraulic lifter 409 with a four speed and 3.36 gears (as I remember ). I thought that was a perfect street car plant. I have given up on a 409, but it looks like replicating the performance is a piece of cake. I really don't want much more. I also will not install headers.

Any helpful info is appreciated.

Thanks.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 06:09 PM

The cast iron stock ram's horns will bolt right on to the head and probably seal better than an aftermarket tube style header will.

The "D" shaped ports are raised making the amount of material to seal at the top of the "D" difficult for a tube style header, but a piece of cake for the solid rigid cast iron manifold if you have them surfaced to be laser flat. The exhaust ports are raised, but the bolt holes that hold on the manifold are not (the reason the port is hard to seal for headers that have a thin steel flange).

If the ZZ383 "Fast Burn" heads where made of cast iron you wouldn't even need an exhaust gasket, but because the heads expand at a different rate than the cast iron of the exhaust manifolds I recommend using them.

Big Dave
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
The cast iron stock ram's horns will bolt right on to the head and probably seal better than an aftermarket tube style header will.

The "D" shaped ports are raised making the amount of material to seal at the top of the "D" difficult for a tube style header, but a piece of cake for the solid rigid cast iron manifold if you have them surfaced to be laser flat. The exhaust ports are raised, but the bolt holes that hold on the manifold are not (the reason the port is hard to seal for headers that have a thin steel flange).

If the ZZ383 "Fast Burn" heads where made of cast iron you wouldn't even need an exhaust gasket, but because the heads expand at a different rate than the cast iron of the exhaust manifolds I recommend using them.

Big Dave
Good to know. Thanks. The ease of the swap is an important consideration for me.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 11:22 PM

Do you care about how the valve covers will look? I think all these motors will be later style blocks that do not have the vent hole in the back for the PCV. That means the PCV goes thru the valve covers, which is fine if you don't care about that, but some like to keep the original style valve covers on the engine.

Just as a reference, I made 370HP and 420 torque with my year correct 327 block bored and stroked to 383. Using stock heads, intake, carb and exhaust. It was built mild enough to run the power brakes and A/C. So it is not difficult to get the kind of numbers you are looking for in a mild mannered package.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcairns View Post
Do you care about how the valve covers will look? I think all these motors will be later style blocks that do not have the vent hole in the back for the PCV. That means the PCV goes thru the valve covers, which is fine if you don't care about that, but some like to keep the original style valve covers on the engine.

Just as a reference, I made 370HP and 420 torque with my year correct 327 block bored and stroked to 383. Using stock heads, intake, carb and exhaust. It was built mild enough to run the power brakes and A/C. So it is not difficult to get the kind of numbers you are looking for in a mild mannered package.

Not really. I'm going to keep a period correct general appearance, but not looking to fool anyone. Thanks for the reply.

I am still interested in any experiences with Smeding.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page