Seat Upholstery for my 67 - Impala Tech
Interiors Upholstery & Soft Trim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Seat Upholstery for my 67

Hey, Everyone. Just started to reupholster my seats and thought I would post my progress and possibly be some help to anyone who might try this themselves. I put off doing this for quite some time with a lot of reservations on whether or not I could pull it off and the lack of funds to pay someone to do it and quite a bit of research on the web that made it look "easy" finally prompted me to give it a go.

Several pictures... the first couple I'm stripping the old vinyl, foam and cotton batting from the frame. The frame was pretty rusty so I had to clean it up, treat it and paint it. The back, bottom seat was in pretty good shape. I did not have to repair any of the springs like I'm having to do with the back, top (but that's another post). Once cleaned up, I sewed heavy canvas all around the top frame of the seat. Then I hog ringed foam around the top part of the seat to provide the cushion. Finally, I hog ringed the new vinyl over that.

After a little bit of time, a whole lot of effort, and the giving of some blood from those nasty, little, sharp hog rings I finished the first part of the project. It's never as "easy" as it looks and I'm certain a professional would have done a way better job but in the end I'm happy with the results.

A couple of points that I learned that might help another DIY'er:
  1. Hog rings are sharp. Be careful after placing them that you do not grab hold of part of the frame that you just hog ringed because they will puncture your fingers and/or hand.
  2. I read where some folks use the plastic cable/zip ties to hold the new cover to the frame but see'in as how I invested $40 bucks in hog ring pliers and hog rings I decided to do it the "old fashioned" way. Cable/zip ties might be a better way to go.
  3. Heavy canvas with upholstery thread worked fine for the initial cover. The canvas replaces the original burlap and has two primary purposes: distribute weight more evenly across the springs as someone uses the seat and to keep the foam from sinking into the wire springs.
  4. I used 2 inch, high density foam from a craft supply store that I cut using a bread knife (I do not have an electric meat carving knife that all the web sites said is the best to use but anything that is sharp and has a serrated edge appears to work fine).
  5. The listing wire was the hardest material to find in the whole project. This is the wire that goes inside the listing around the edges of the vinyl and what the hog rings go around to fasten to the frame with. The original listing wire was too rusted and damaged to use again. What I finally ended up using was 12 gage galvanized steel wire that I bought from Tractor Supply. It's a bit on the thick side and maybe the next gage thinner would work just as well but this one worked fine. After a LOT of research on the web and getting no results except for "old coat hanger wire" I finally found this wire to use. Old coat hanger wire was not long enough to go all the way around the listing for the seat. Bend the ends of the wire around before pushing them through the listing and it goes through easier.
That's all I can think of for now. If anyone has any other questions please ask and I'll try to help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM30182.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	5290   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM30232.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	5298   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN22452.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	5330   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN22532.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	5338   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN22692.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	5346  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 09:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

.....looks pretty darn "professional" to me!
Nice work

Kevin

'63 Impala SS 409/425 owned since '71
'64 Impala SS 327/300 factory 4sp p/s p/b air
'66 Impala 327/275 glide 2dr/hdtp
'66 Belair Wagon 283 700R4
'62 Impala 350/350 dual quad th350 2dr/hdtp
'00 Camaro SS 6sp hurst SLP
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 07:04 AM

You do good work.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 07:33 AM

Diy

Kevin,
Did you use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat up the new covers for ease in installation and stretching ?

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsc66 View Post
Kevin,
Did you use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat up the new covers for ease in installation and stretching ?

Paul
Hey, FSC66... I did a little bit afterwards just to get some wrinkles out of the center... creases from the cover being in the box. But I did not have to heat it up to be able to stretch it tight across the foam and springs. I'm curious to see if the back of the back and the front seats will be the same way. I'll know fairly soon.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

And thanks for the nice comments guys. Will post more on my progress later.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 08:59 AM

What a great job. Gives me confidence for my future recovering. Nice going!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 09:50 PM

It looks great! Will keep an eye on your work plan to redo the interior of mine too don't know when yet!
?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
seat, upholstery

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page