Installation of '64 radio - Impala Tech
Interiors Upholstery & Soft Trim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Installation of '64 radio

Hi everyone. Not sure where to post this exactly, so I hope its ok here. I had previously sent my stock '64 radio out to have it updated with new internals. This week it arrived and I began the installation. When I first got the car, it had a piece of crap aftermarket radio in it, which was quickly removed. Therefore, I don't have the benefit of how the install should go because I didn't remove the original. It fits in the dash ok (I guess) and I know I have to make a bracket to support the rear. The on/off/volume button/shaft has a threaded nut on it and it is smaller then the hole in the dash. It barely is flush with the dash. The other button/shaft/tuner is much smaller then the hole it comes through. Big difference in the size of the dash holes. The threaded part of this shaft doesn't even come flush with the dash. The face of the radio fits up against the dash but there just seems like something is wrong/missing. I can't figure it out. I looked in my '64 assembly manual and that was of little help. I also don't have the knobs or anything else associated with the radio. Just ordered new today. I was hoping one of the members who has '64 with a stock radio, would be so kind as to post some pics. I would like to see the radio with the knobs on and then off. I would really appreciate it. Thank you very much, Carmin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
Hi everyone. Not sure where to post this exactly, so I hope its ok here. I had previously sent my stock '64 radio out to have it updated with new internals. This week it arrived and I began the installation. When I first got the car, it had a piece of crap aftermarket radio in it, which was quickly removed. Therefore, I don't have the benefit of how the install should go because I didn't remove the original.

It fits in the dash ok (I guess) and I know I have to make a bracket to support the rear.

This is just a piece on metal about three quarters of an inch wide with two bends and two holes in it. Look for used brackets sold on line to see how it is shaped or to find a replacement.

The on/off/volume button/shaft has a threaded nut on it and it is smaller then the hole in the dash. It barely is flush with the dash. The other button/shaft/tuner is much smaller then the hole it comes through. Big difference in the size of the dash holes.

The person that installed the old aftermarket radio obviously bored out the factory holes to a larger size. A permanent solution is to enlarge the holes further and weld in a washer with the correct size hole. A temporary solution is to use a washer and lock nut to attempt to center the radio in the opening.

The threaded part of this shaft doesn't even come flush with the dash. The face of the radio fits up against the dash but there just seems like something is wrong/missing.

There should be a collection of washers to space the radio flush with the dash and two brass nuts on each threaded shaft to center the radio at the correct distance from the face of the dash.

I can't figure it out. I looked in my '64 assembly manual and that was of little help.

I also don't have the knobs or anything else associated with the radio.

You can buy either reproduction knobs (which people frequently complain about being a good quality part), or search on line for original knobs that are offered from time to time.

Just ordered new today. I was hoping one of the members who has '64 with a stock radio, would be so kind as to post some pics. I would like to see the radio with the knobs on and then off. I would really appreciate it. Thank you very much, Carmin.
I was waiting to hear that you can not figure out how to wire the radio up, as it used a special molded plug that fit into the back of the radio and was part of the under dash wiring harness of the car. That plug connected the radio to the speakers and the power supply all through one big light blue to light green molded plug.

The antenna plugs into the back of the steel case and is your back up ground if you don't install the rear brace which is your primary ground. It came either installed on the front fender or with twin rear antennas one of which was a dumby depending upon year and model.

Big Dave
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

I'm going to look again at the holes in the dash. If they were enlarged, they did a great job because they are not the least bit rough or jagged. Putting the size of the holes aside, it just seems like the shafts don't protrude far enough through whatever hole in the dash was there, to be fastened with a nut; even though the face of the radio is up against the dash and can't go any further. That's about the only thing I'm sure of; I think. Even though I already placed my order, I'll still look on line for the knobs. The wiring and antenna were no problems. It came with its own harness with directions as to where everything went. I have the 2 antenna's mounted on the rear. One is a dummy. When I'm in the car, that makes 2 dummies LOL. I did have the radio working but it isn't secured properly. I still wouldn't mind looking at some pics if someone was generous enough. Thank you Big Dave for all your help, Carmine.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

I just finished looking at some '64 radios on ebay. It seems what I call the threaded shaft surrounding both knobs, is adjustable. Some were out much further then mine which gives them enough distance for attachment to the dash. This could be my problem. Will check later and report back, Carmine.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 07:20 PM

The tuner side is supposed to be larger.

This is the part you are missing:
Radio Dash Shaft Insert
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-64-67-C...2dc22e&vxp=mtr

The reason for the funny shaped part, is the optional front/rear fader that goes in there. The cup shaped insert replaces the fader on most cars. My humble 4-door sedan only has a dash speaker, but the SS (and some other well optioned models) had a rear speaker that was in the upper center of the rear seat.

This ebay auction of a radio with fader shows it installed:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-1964-Ch...32e3ee&vxp=mtr

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for taking the time to post those pics. I definitely don't have that part. I also looked at that ebay link. I just returned from the garage and those threaded shafts I thought were adjustable, aren't. I still can't figure out why there isn't enough shaft coming through the dash to secure it with those thin nuts. I'm going to look at the original one again tomorrow. Yes, those holes in the dash do look like mine. Smaller on the left, larger on the right. Thank you again, Carmine.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 07:30 AM

The threaded shafts are not adjustable. However there is a second nut on the shafts which are used to adjust the radio location in the dash. If your shafts are not long enough then the guy that put the new internals in your radio used the wrong sized shafts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

This morning, I put the original radio back in. With some jiggling, I got the on/off shaft through the dash enough to put a nut on if I wanted. The tuning shaft wasn't even close. My problem is that I don't have that spacer cup. If I did, I don't think I would have an issue. I compared the shafts of both radios and they protrude the same distance out. So, now I know that with a little jiggling, I can get the one shaft through the dash and secure if with a nut. But, this brings me back to the problem of the other side. I've never seen these spacer cups sold. Guess it looks like I'm going to have to figure something out for this one side. Kind of hard to put something back together when you've never taken it apart to begin with. But, I do have a good pic in one of the threads to go by. I sincerely want to thank everyone who responded to my posting. I really appreciate your time and effort, Carmine.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 06:41 PM

The picture of the cup I showed you had a link to it's ebay auction. Outrageous price, but it is still for sale. I would call South Side Automotive first and see if they have one. They specialize in these old cars, and the owner is quite fond of '64's. They have quite a lot of good salvaged parts and NOS stuff. They came through for me on a lot of hard to find bits. Call them on the phone, they do business the old fashioned way

http://www.sosideauto.com/
Phone: 612-727-2404

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcairns View Post
The picture of the cup I showed you had a link to it's ebay auction. Outrageous price, but it is still for sale. I would call South Side Automotive first and see if they have one. They specialize in these old cars, and the owner is quite fond of '64's. They have quite a lot of good salvaged parts and NOS stuff. They came through for me on a lot of hard to find bits. Call them on the phone, they do business the old fashioned way

http://www.sosideauto.com/
Phone: 612-727-2404
You're right. That is a lot. But, if I could get that to me within a few days, it would save me a lot of grief which has its own price. Thank you.

I just sent sosideauto an email.

Last edited by Carmine; 04-27-2014 at 08:32 PM. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page