Interior restoring - Impala Tech
Interiors Upholstery & Soft Trim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Interior restoring

I am in process of restoring the interior in my 67. I am about to order seat covers, carpet and new package tray. What's the best place to order these items from and where can I get the piece that's between package tray and rear window?
Also is the package tray complete with fiberboard?? or is it just vinyl covering and I need to cut out a piece of fiberboard and cover it?

Thanks

Last edited by 67SS; 06-07-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 08:56 PM
BA.

Welcome to the site Eddie.

Please try a search and you'll see lots of results about where to buy interior. CARS, PUI, Legendary, SMS or the 1/2 dozen retailers for them.
I believe you'll find the package tray is vinyl over the fiber/cardboard backing as one piece. I've never seen them as separate.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks.
I was more wandering if one place is better than the other or do all of them sell same item from same manufacturer.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67SS View Post
Thanks.
I was more wandering if one place is better than the other or do all of them sell same item from same manufacturer.
At least interior parts are more frequently made this side of the pond than in China or Malaysia, but not necessarily in America (hecho en Mexico comes to mind). This means quality is better and there is more parts offered from various vendors.

In China all industry belongs to the communist government. So they make what they think will gain them the most cold hard cash, in the fastest time, with least out lay of materials: quality isn't high on their list. Labor isn't their highest concern either, as they have more rice farmers than farms. Finding materials is a real concern to them which is why the steel used in their car stampings is inferior and contaminated with impurities.

You should be able to find competing products as the vendors strive to distinguish themselves from one another. Because they want repeat business and they know you can buy elsewhere quality is higher. Price is pretty much controlled by the middle men (the companies that print the glossy catalogs and have the big flashy web sites). Sometimes in the back of car mags you can find the manufacture selling retail direct to you instead of to Classic, Year One, OEM, etc.

I can not recommend one over another as I pull out interiors and replace with door panels contact paper (shelf liner) and aluminum panels for rear seats to lighten the car for racing. In racing you either build horsepower or you reduce weight, or you do both to win.

Big Dave
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 11:50 AM

Eddie
The short answer here is that all '67 interiors are made by PUI. They are of good quality. Price will vary considerably as will the shipping cost, especiall on that oversized package tray. So just compare total cost. Some will stock it (if it is a popular color), some will drop ship it. Consider that if you are in a hurry.
The carpet is reproduced by both Trim Parts and ACC. I have used both and I find no difference. They will sell direct (PUI won't), but the price from the regular suppliers is generally better.

Mike

1965 Impala SS 396
1967 SS427
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I finally ordered everything I need for the interior. The seat upholstery and carpet (with mass backing) I ordered form Classic Industries, by using the Father's day discount code they had the best price. The foam for the buckets I got on Ebay cause it was cheaper. I took everything out over the weekend. I was gonna try to do seats my self but after looking at them for about 10 minutes I decided to leave it to the pro. For heat and sound insulation I decided to go with EZ Cool. I will also place strips of Dynamat on the thinnest areas of the floor. Since I ordered the carpet with mass backing I think this should be sufficient.
For those interested I will post some pictures of the install.

Last edited by 67SS; 06-24-2014 at 01:13 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
After pulling the carpet out I was pleasantly surprised to find just some surface rust on the passenger side.
In the 2nd picture what looks like rust, actually most of that is the insulation that is stuck to the floor.
[IMG]IMG_2585 by 70cutty, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2607 by 70cutty, on Flickr[/IMG]

Found crumbles of my build sheet under the carpet.

[IMG]IMG_2597 by 70cutty, on Flickr[/IMG]
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 04:44 PM

Build sheet

Please keep every crumble and puzzle piece of that build sheet, you'll be very happy later on that you did, it's a wealth of information!!!!!!

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Over the weekend I managed to put in the insulation and carpet. I used dynamat on thin parts of the floor and around the shifter, then I covered everything with EZ Cool insulation.

[IMG]IMG_2614 by 70cutty, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2611 by 70cutty, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2618 by 70cutty, on Flickr[/IMG]
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
My center console had a crack right in the middle, managed to glue it back together, filled it with some polyurethane caulking and painted it. You can't even tell it was ever there.

[IMG]IMG_2622 by 70cutty, on Flickr[/IMG]
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 06:59 AM

Looks like you have a good start on this
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
[IMG]IMG_2680 by 70cutty, on Flickr[/IMG]Finally found some time to finish the carpet and put together the center console.

Rear shelf is in together with the back seat and all the pieces that I have taken off. I wasn't too happy with the quality of rear shelf panels so I wrapped it in vinyl, it looks much better.

[IMG]IMG_2681 by 70cutty, on Flickr[/IMG]

After wrestling with the buckets finally got them in. Here it is, all done.

[IMG]IMG_2689 by 70cutty, on Flickr[/IMG]
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
One mistake I made was not installing the plush cut pile carpet. I installed the the loop cause I was trying to keep it original. In my Cutlass I installed plush cut pile and it looks waaay better and it's much more forgiving. I had to be extra careful with the damn loops, in the pictures above you can see around one of the bolts where the thread starting coming off. Luckily gets covered by the seat mounts.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9040 View Post
Eddie
The short answer here is that all '67 interiors are made by PUI. ....
Actually, this is partially true. PUI is the only company making the door panels. CARS Inc. does make their own seat covers. They supply seat covers to Classic Industries as well as other retailers.

1967 Chevrolet Impala SS convertible - Ermine White C1
1967 Chevrolet Impala SS 396 - Marina Blue FF
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 06:46 AM

Until the past year or so, nobody seemed certain that CARS was making their own seat covers for these cars. I even called them and the salesman would only tell me that they made SOME of their own covers.

Anyway, I ordered mine from Classic and they arrived in PUI packaging. That being said, I am very happy with them.

Mike

1965 Impala SS 396
1967 SS427
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 11:34 PM

Good job so far , I ordered my covers from Summit . They had the best price .Like 249. for both front. PUI . Doing myself drivers came pretty good though hog ringing was a bitch tho . I'll have to post some pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page