Headlight switch - Impala Tech
Interiors Upholstery & Soft Trim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Headlight switch

I need a quick refresher here guys.

I replaced the dash facia on my '66 today with a repro kit. I was doing great until I came to the last piece that houses the headlight switch.

I remember there is a trick to these old GM headlight switches to remove the stem. Something about a little button in back of the switch itself that you push if I remember correctly? Or was it the side? I haven't removed one of these things in 20+ years so my memory is a little hazy.

Also are there any tricks to removing the wiper/washer switch? I can't ever recall pulling one.

And why is the most inaccessible bolt the one that's frozen? This was pretty much a quick, painless parts change except for the fact that the bolt nearest the passenger door wouldn't budge. The one I could barely get to. It was seized. 90% of the time replacing the facia was spent on that one bolt, upside down, highly uncomfortable and cursing at eternal deities at the top of my lungs. Thank God I live far out in the country so my neighbors didn't report me for being crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 09:13 PM

I just took out a '66 Light Switch the other day. The button is on the bottom real close to the dash. I had a hard time finding it and even a harder time getting a finger on it to push it in. Pull the Switch on, then while pushing on the button pull the knob and shaft out.

The Wiper knob should have a little set screw on it.

Bill
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62BillT View Post
I just took out a '66 Light Switch the other day. The button is on the bottom real close to the dash. I had a hard time finding it and even a harder time getting a finger on it to push it in. Pull the Switch on, then while pushing on the button pull the knob and shaft out.

The Wiper knob should have a little set screw on it.

Bill
Thanks Bill.

All I could remember about the light switch was that it had that little button and I couldn't remember where it was. Last time I pulled one of these switches I ended up buying a new one because I destroyed the old one trying to get the stem out. I'll pull it tomorrow and throw up a couple pics of my new revamped interior Monday or Tuesday.

Thanks again for the info, it's greatly appreciated.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page