Seat Belts - Impala Tech
Interiors Upholstery & Soft Trim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Seat Belts

I have a 67 4D stock 283 powerglide dual bench seat. One this above all else is I have been wanting to do is make the car safer. But I heard that some models of the hardtop came with factory shoulder belts and I see kits for the conversion but no images or indication on where they were mounted. Anyone have knowledge on the subject?
This is my first post and my first classic car (I am 19 so I am rather inexperienced in the field)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 09:06 PM

Welcome to the Team Jon!

Shoulder belts were only offered as a dealer installed option in 1972 and didn't become required equipment until 1973. In fact in 1967 seat belts were being used as standard equipment for the first time. Rear seat lap belts were not offered as an option until 1968, so there are no mounting point at all in the back for seat belts of any kind from the factory. There will be no shoulder belt provision for your year car from the factory; so you will need to go to the aftermarket for both belts and the mounting hardware (inertia reels and anchor eyes with floor board reinforcements; to keep the anchor from pulling through the sheet metal it is attached to upon impact.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 08:02 AM

Although these cars had seat belts, they were not designed for shoulder belts. A good alternative would be to install seats from a newer vehicle with the shoulder belts installed in them.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the warm welcome.
I will end up installing lap belts in the back. I'd feel awful getting into a wreck and throwing my friends in the back through the windshield. Unfortunately I absolutely love my double bench set up. I am gonna try to get an original look to the interior and have some subtle upgrades which will be including brakes and suspension the best way to survive an accident is to avoid it all together... But that is the theory anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
interiors, safety, seats

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page