Air ride on 65 - Impala Tech
Interiors Upholstery & Soft Trim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Air ride on 65

Hi, I recently bought a 65 on air. Adjustable at the front and at the rear just the bags. Is it normal that the suspension /comfort is very hard? Having 18 inch at the front and 20 at the back with obviously very low and hard tires.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 07:17 PM

Welcome to the Team Andre!

Air rides are normally selected so that the car can be parked on the ground at a car show to impress ... ?????? The people they are trying to impress I haven't met yet, but people who invest in air rides go to a lot of expense to impress them.

An air ride suspension doesn't necessitate a rough ride as many luxury yachts rely on air bags for their suspension (old Caddys and new Lincolns do as well as Pugeot and a Swedish car whos name escapes me but it isn't a Volvo). I have a few people on this board who claim that it is also used as a performance suspension, but I haven't found a car that competes under any sanctioning rules for drag racing, road racing, Formula one racing CanAm or TransAm or NASCAR racing, but that doesn't mean there isn't a competitive car out there some where.

A lot of your rough riding could well be the fault of the 18 and 20 inch wheels if the side wall profile eliminates the possibility of the side wall flexing to soften some of the bumps. I have twenty inch wheels on my Silverado pick-up truck with LT tires (light truck which is to say the tire side wall are rated at eight plies, even though physically there are fewer plies). It rides as well if not better than my old 1985 Impala race car.

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 11:08 PM

At what pressure are your bags reading at "ride height"? You might be riding around to high and that will cause it to ride extremely rough...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 11:44 AM

Garage
I have air bags on my 67. When fully inflated or deflated, it rides very rough. But around half way, it rides much better than original suspension. It's not so bouncy on the freeway like a boat but yet very smooth and very comfortable.

In your case it might be a combination of both. Tires and pressure in the bags.

Also do you have shocks installed in the front?
When bags are installed the shocks need to be relocated, a lot of people skip this somewhat important step.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 06:55 PM

Andre,

Not all air bag systems are created equal. What system do you have? And what A-Arms do you have?

You can improve any systems ride with tire pressure, adjusting hwy ride height, fresh suspension components, and last but not least good shocks in the right mounting position.

Hope this helps!
Mike
msp177
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page