62 Impala Vinyl Seat Cover - Impala Tech
Interiors Upholstery & Soft Trim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

62 Impala Vinyl Seat Cover

Back in June of '62 when my grandfather took delivery of his Anniversary Gold Impala, he put clear vinyl seat covers on the upholstery to protect the vehicle from his children. 52 years later the vinyl seat covers are still there and the seats underneath are close to perfect. As most vehicles have, the driver's side has some wear, including a crack that is exposing the material. Does anyone know a place that sells something at least close to what is on there now? I don't want to keep sitting on it and eventually ruin what I have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 11:57 PM

Why not enjoy the fabric? They make reproduction pre-sewn replacement seat fabrics that look perfectly authentic. Just consider it a wear item like brake pads.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 07:38 AM

I am familiar with those clear plastic fabric seat covers. I wondered why people bought them as vinyl plastic covered seats were offered as an option for less money than buying the dealer installed clear plastic seat covers, and the vinyl seats breathed better than the clear plastic covers made of a thick polyethylene plastic. My bosses wife had a brand new white '58 T-bird convertible that had those clear plastic seat covers on their red bucket seats. I would get out of the car with my back soaking wet with sweat from driving it only for a few minutes to pick it up and drive the car back from the Ford dealership (where it spent a lot of time as the new "Y" block V8 was hardly reliable).

Big Dave

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Big Dave you just answered dcairns's question. It's the stories of nostalgia I hear when people my parents' age look at the car. I've heard several people comment that their parents had the same thing on the family car back in the day and then proceed to tell me about it.

Also I love the fact that this car has held up this well over the years, and I can say everything is original. Heck, I had a hard time replacing the A/C compressor last year because I had the feeling I was destroying a time capsule. Yes....I know....I'm weird with my cars =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page