Would like to install new carpet 68 - Impala Tech
Interiors Upholstery & Soft Trim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Would like to install new carpet 68

I would like to install new carpeting on my 1968. The old carpet is becoming unfastened and is ratty. How easy is this to do? I assume I need to take out the front seats? Can someone tell me how it is attached under the dash or how it is supposed to be? My current carpet came detached. Is it glued all the way around and then tucked under the rocker panel covers. I have no idea where to begin. I appreciate the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 07:38 AM

Order the new carpet and when it comes, take it out of the box and lay it out so it can relax back to the form it was pressed into. This can take a couple weeks. I see people take carpet out of the box and try to install it right away and fight it for hours.

Removal of the front seat(s) is necessary, as well as the seat belts, rocker trim and kick panels. There should/may be a plastic carpet guard right under the steering column that needs to removed too, if it is still there. The new carpet should be trimmed to fit right up to the vent metal and then held by the kick panels, the carpet guard and rocker trim. Locating and making the holes for the seat fasteners and belt bolts is time consuming to do right but not hard. If you have a console, you need to provide holes for whatever shifter mechanism and mounting hardware are associated with that too.

It sounds like someone has glued the old carpet down to hold it. If it pulls up the asphalt underlayment with it, all the better. Now is a good time to strip all that junk off, clean the floor pan and treat any rust issues, coat it with Rustoleum paint and then consider applying a good sound and heat barrier. Hopefully, this isn't a daily driver and you can take the time to do this thoroughly.

You didn't think you were going to just throw new caret in, did you...
It's all a sequence of events that should be done to stop any rust there is and prevent it from growing, while providing a quieter and cooler interior level..

'62 Impala SS 409 TH350
'66 Chevelle SS 496 M20
'70 Chevelle SS 396 M20
'67 Camaro ss/rs 350 PG
'38 Chev coupe street rod
'54 Chev 210 2 door
'69 Chev C10
'89 Chev R3500 roll back
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the thorough response so much appreciated. Additional question, while I am at I am going to install new door panels. Are those fastened with plastic clips that need to be pried out? I see a special tool online look like a screwdriver handle crow bar. Also how do I remove window roll down handles?

Thanks so much!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 07:16 AM

The door panels are basically cardboard. Your '68 will have metal clips inserted from the back. After all these years, the cardboard is deteriorated and weak. For those wishing to save their panels the forked removal tool is a must to minimize damage while prying the clips out of the plastic receivers in the door. There should be 4 screws across the bottom of the panel. Once you have removed them, you can gently pull on the panel enough to see the metal clips. Use the fork right at the clip and pry gently. With patience and care, the panel should come loose. Remove the door lock knob and then you need to push the top of the panel against the door while pushing up . There is a metal lock strip at the top of the panel that has catches to hold the panel to the door. I always have the glass all the way down for the panel to move enough. With the glass up, the wiper will touch the glass and prevent the panel from going in far enough to get the catch past the door.

The window cranks, and possibly the release handle have c-clips that hold them to the shafts. There is another tool to push the clips out of the groove in the shaft for removal. See pic below. The tool is inserted from the knob end between the metal and plastic washer, if it is still there. The clip should stay on the handle, but if it pops off, find it. All the aftermarket clips I've bought are junk. They don't have enough temper in the metal to hold properly. There should be a spring behind the cranks too and holding a slight pressure against the crank while pushing the clip out will prevent the crank from popping off and falling.

'62 Impala SS 409 TH350
'66 Chevelle SS 496 M20
'70 Chevelle SS 396 M20
'67 Camaro ss/rs 350 PG
'38 Chev coupe street rod
'54 Chev 210 2 door
'69 Chev C10
'89 Chev R3500 roll back
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 01:49 PM

When you take out the old carpet, put the seat belt bolts back in the floor. Then, put the new carpet over top, and you can use a knife to cut an X through the carpet for the bolts to pass through in the perfect spot. NEVER drill through loop carpet, it will wrap around the drill bit, and pull a long run in the carpet.

It really helps to install carpet when it is hot and sunny. You lay the carpet in the sun for an hour while you are taking out the seats, and it will drop down on the floor pan perfectly.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 06:35 PM

Hello, Joe-

Mitch's info & tool pic are spot on. I had to rob rear quarter interior sound deadening panels from my '67 Caprice parts car this weekend, so I took a few pics of all the tools (Crank removal tool, trim panel removal tools with the "V" notches) anlong with correct positioning to show how it's done. Important you use the crank removal tool as pictured or it won't catch & release the clip...also, insert tool blade BEWTEEN the handle's base & plastic rub shield which touches the actual panel itself, or you won't get the clip....

UPDATE: 04/18/15= Installed carpet kit 1968 fastback hardtop. If your Impala is a 2-door hardtop or fastback, you'll also need to remove the rear seat armrests which extend outward and cover the rear carpet section (kit comes in 2 halves, front & rear). On mine, there are 2 screws in the front/ face of the armrest/ashtray panel, ten a 3rd tucked WAY down low & behing the panel requiring removal of the rear seat bottom (do this by finding the hooks welded to the floor- there are 2- that the front lower edge of the seat bottom's wire frame rolls around). I installed black carpet kit from Classic Industries after 2 hours in the sun- worked awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050807.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	10409   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050802.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	10425   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050806.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	10433   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050804.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	10441   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050800.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	10449  

Last edited by 68fastback327; 04-21-2015 at 06:53 PM. Reason: More info after installing MY carpet...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I have laid out the carpet for 3 weeks. Before I break into the the remove and install. Can someone tell me how to remove the kick panels?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 01:25 PM

First, remove 5 screws holding the stainless scuff plate down to the rocker panel and slightly overlapping the carpet as you open your door. Next, in the front of the door jamb find and remove 1 small Phillips screw retaining vertical run of plastic on the kickpanel from floor to just under the "A" or windshield pillar trim. Next, find and remove another small Phillips screw underneath dash just below the fresh-air vent on the driver side or above the vent on passenger side. Then, flex out the bottom of the kick panel plastic where it meets carpet toward the center hump of car while gently pulling downward to release the top of verical run from underneath the "A" pillar trim. "Down-and-out", so to speak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page