1968 Impala Door Panels - Impala Tech
Interiors Upholstery & Soft Trim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

1968 Impala Door Panels

I recently purchased a 68 Impala( Non SS) convertible. Its a verified matching numbers car, 396, 4-speed, factory gauges, F-41 suspension. The car has a bench seat interior. The door panels and rear seat side panels look to be correct for a Super Sport, not an Impala. My gut feeling tells me that during the restoration someone just switched out the panels. Is it possible though that the car could have been ordered with a bench seat SS interior? I do not have a build sheet or any dealer paperwork.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 11:55 AM

Welcome to the Team Mike!

The only thing the SS option bought you with an Impala was bucket seats and chrome trim. It was not a performance option on the B-body cars (Impala, Caprice, Bel Air, etc.) the way it was on the 1968 F-body Camaro, or the A-body Chevelle, or the X-body Nova which when an SS was ordered changed the suspension to heavy duty parts (RPO code F-41), added to HD cooling, HD electrical and of course that ever popular "High Performance" engine option. You could order an Impala SS with a 250 cubic inch six cylinder in 1968 if you wanted to.

Some one wanted a sportier car which is why they added the F-41 suspension package (stiffer spring rate and HD gas filled shocks and it included a front sway bar). Though why they chose to install a 396 when only the Corvette or the Impala had as an option 427 is beyond me.

The only "true" SS Impala built in 1968 was the 427 SS (Note that is not an SS with a 427 installed) which was the only way to get the option of the 425 horse 427. It included a special hood only offered with the 427 SS and all of the goodies that Chevrolet added to the other SS models they made (such as HD suspension, HD cooling, HD electrical, etc.) in 1968.

Chevy only offered the rare 427 SS option in 1967, '68, and '69 before it was dropped due to people choosing a lighter car to have a high performance motor installed in.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 04:59 PM

The SS option might not mean much to some people but it seems to effect the price of a 1968 Impala.

Base Impala with 307 V-8 $12,200

Impala SS with 327 250 Horse $22,200

These numbers are from Hagerty.

It's just like any other option. If only 27,000 Impala's in 1968 came with the SS option it makes them special compared to the 880,000 Impala's that didn't.

How many of those 27,000 do you think are still on this earth??

Brian

Brian

1968 Impala SS Fastback 383 stroker

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 06:20 PM

I would bet that door panels were replaced with SS panels because until only recently were the standard door panels available. There is no such car as an Impala super Sport with a bench seat ( except an SS427) because the Super Sport option only means bucket seats and console, and different door panels, regardless of the engine size. You could have ordered a Super Sport with a 6 cylinder. To verify your car just see what the trim code is on the cowl tag on the firewall. That will decode to a bench seat or vinyl buckets. Post the code here and we will tell you what it had from the factory.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. According to the data on the trim tag, it was born with bench seats.
I would concur that these panels were probably installed during the restoration.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 08:04 AM

In 1968, since the SS was a body style, it also appears on the trim tag if your car was an SS from the factory.

Since the SS was a popular option, and every one wants bucket seats, the restoration industry makes parts with the highest demand. I don't know if they have standard interior parts as the next most popular (demand) would be for a deluxe interior.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page