What part is this? - Impala Tech
Interiors Upholstery & Soft Trim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

What part is this?

So inside my 68 impala the b pillars seem like they are missing a cover of some sort? Not idea what to even search for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 08:45 AM

You obviously have a 4-Door. Is it a Hard Top (No Post) or a Sedan (Post)?

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 10:38 AM

He wouldn't have a "B" pillar with a hard top, it's all glass. So We can safely assume he has a sedan. I

What I don't know is how you can assume he has a four door. This is because the factory also made two door sedans as well as the two door hard tops.

What he describes as missing are the plastic covers for the "B" pillar itself as the doors do not have a covering. Pretty sure he is going to have to find that part used as I doubt seriously if it is reproduced. Best place to look is the far northern part of the country (Higher Latitudes, with their changes in attitudes) as the sun's destructive UV rays are weaker the further north you go: as it has more atmosphere to disperse the radiation.

Big Dave

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 10:59 AM
BA.

picture is worth a thousand words Walt!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
He wouldn't have a "B" pillar with a hard top, it's all glass. So We can safely assume he has a sedan.

What I don't know is how you can assume he has a four door. This is because the factory also made two door sedans as well as the two door hard tops.
Dave,

A 4-Dr Hard Top has a "B-Pillar Lower Post". They also have a Large Plastic Cover on the inside covering it, which it sounds like what he is referring to. A 4-Dr Sedan will have a smaller Vinyl Covering, plus an Upper Metal Molding.

You are correct he could possibly have a 2-Dr Sedan, but it would just be an "Upper Metal Molding" only, if it follows the same pattern as the earlier models (although I have 3 '67's and 5 '68's here, none are the more rare 2-Dr Sedan cars).

Walt, solve the mystery and tell us what you have !!

Member:

Last edited by 62BillT; 02-08-2016 at 12:43 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 01:01 PM

I get you Bill: that lower post that the door latches to would have a plastic cover on it on a four door hard top. I was just thinking of the distinction between the sedan and the hard top being the upper part of that "B" pillar going all the way up to connect with the roof. It is not only entirely visible, which offends some people in terms of styling, but it makes the car lighter (since less steel has to be placed in the frame to stiffen it up), but it makes the car body stronger since the roof arch is reinforced with a central column. It is this lighter but stronger part that I appreciate more than styling which is why all of my race cars are sedans and not hard tops.

Big Dave
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
It is this lighter but stronger part that I appreciate more than styling which is why all of my race cars are sedans and not hard tops.
I agree, which also reminds me of all the 55 to '57 Chevys on the Drag Strips in the old days that were 2-Dr Sedans. Probably what made all the 2-Dr Sedans all the way up into the late '60's so popular to a lot of enthusiasts on the road.

Member:

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Sorry guys haven't been on in a few days. Its a 4 door 68 caprice with vinyl top. No pillar in the windows. Its from the floor to the top of the door (bottom of window). Looks like just bare metal there but should definitely be a plastic cover of some sort. Ill get a picture up as soon as I get the chance.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 08:06 PM

Right, there is a Large Plastic Cover that goes over it on your '68 4-Dr HT and it topped off by a Plastic Cap.

The '67 and '68 pieces should be the same, but they will not be easy to find, especially due to the popularity of the '67 on that popular TV show (that I personally never watched, lol).

Member:

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 01:58 PM

68 4-door

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62BillT View Post
Right, there is a Large Plastic Cover that goes over it on your '68 4-Dr HT and it topped off by a Plastic Cap.

The '67 and '68 pieces should be the same, but they will not be easy to find, especially due to the popularity of the '67 on that popular TV show (that I personally never watched, lol).

I believe I have these in black and also blue/green
contact
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page