1967 4 door Bench Seat Rails, Brackets - Impala Tech
Interiors Upholstery & Soft Trim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

1967 4 door Bench Seat Rails, Brackets

I'm not sure what people call them here. Either way, I refer to the rails that mount to the floor of the vehicle; onto which the bench seat mounts and slides.

Mine need replacement. Someone in the past must have replaced the seat during upholstery, because the brackets/rails/whatever are rusty and a tab is broken off. It's a 1967 Sport Sedan; the pillarless model.

I could repair them, but honestly, they're pretty bad.

No matter how hard I look, I can only find parts and information related to bucket seats. I don't want bucket seats. I'd like to keep the bench seat and get it nice and tight like it's supposed to be.

So, I'm curious as to which parts I need and where to get them. Perhaps something from another model will suffice, or perhaps two sets of bucket seat mounts would provide me with compatible outside mounts.

There's a cable that likely needs replacing, as well. Actually, I might not even have the darned thing under there. It only seems to move on the driver side. I haven't removed it from the vehicle yet.

Anyone know what I need?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

I might just pick up a 2 way power set from a Cadillac, as there are nice restored units available on occasion at reasonable prices, and they look fairly simple for reliability.

At least then I'll have some nice brackets to replace mine with.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

I bought the Cadillac power set.

Should be more solid than the flimsy, cable-operated manual tracks anyway. I don't think I'd have ever found that stupid cable.

Now it's time to pull that seat apart, blast the frame, re-spray it, and put the old upholstery back on until I seal up the windows properly.

I should probably put some effort into the floors where the rails mount. I managed to snap off one of the bolts, and it was the only one holding the seat down. That's probably why it broke.

Nobody ever finished installing that seat after the crappy custom upholstery.

I'll fix it up.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 12:45 PM

They are called "seat tracks". Be sure to disassemble, clean and lube the transmission and cables on your newly purchased 2-way unit. There are instructions in the Fisher Body Service manual.
Good info here: Restoring-a-60s-vintage-gm-6-way-power-seat-unit. A lot of info will apply to a 2-way unit.
American AutoWire sells a power seat feed wire to connect the power seat to the fuse box --> AAW power seat feed wire

1967 Chevrolet Impala SS convertible - Ermine White C1
1967 Chevrolet Impala SS 396 - Marina Blue FF

Last edited by BigDogSS; 04-20-2016 at 01:02 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Nice.

There are so many words used to describe things that I have trouble remembering which is which, depending upon who made the vehicle. If you don't search right, you won't find something at times.

I don't have the manual set for this yet, but I will. That'll help a lot.

It looks like the seller cleaned things up pretty well, but I'll certainly go in to make sure everything is lubed up and clean. I don't want anything happening to these, and lurching power seats are annoying.

Not as bad as having to shove a wheel behind the backrest, though.

Here's a shot of what I bought.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	15089  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page