Unique upholstery for 67? - Impala Tech
Interiors Upholstery & Soft Trim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

Unique upholstery for 67?

I'm trying to track down replacement upholstery material for a 67 Impala 2 door fastback and I can't find a match to the current material anywhere. It is a cloth black diamond pattern with little white inlays and gold beading. I went to SMS fabrics first since they have been very good being able to provide correct replacements for other projects, but this one has stumped me since SMS says that what I have is not original even though it sure looks to me like it's as old as the car (rusted staples underneath, etc.) I guess it could be some kind of special order or something, and if so that would apply to the door panels also since the same material was used there. I would sure appreciate any assistance you folks might be able to give to determine if special order is a possibility or if it's clear that a prior owner used the current material to replace the original.

Thanks for your help.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160703_150656 (Medium).jpg
Views:	132
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	15914   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160703_150725 (Medium).jpg
Views:	126
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	15922  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 07:09 AM

SMS is correct. That is not original fabric. There were no special orders available either. Curiously, that speaker grill is not original either. I believe it is the one Pontiac used.

Mike

1965 Impala SS 396
1967 SS427
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 08:26 AM

Welcome to the Team Michael!

Not everyone was into restoration, some liked to customize their rides.

Just be thankful it is too new to have been sectioned, chopped, and Frenched. There is a reason they called custom fifties cars LEAD sleds. It was because Bondo (a plastic resin) hadn't been invented yet. Trying to restore a fully treated lead sled to showroom stock would be near impossible.

Looks like all you are dealing with is the interior. I would check the Buick, Cadillac, and Olds or Pontiac restoration houses to see if the former owner went to an upholster for a custom diamond tuck interior or just swapped into your Chevy the interior out of a similar B-body car from another GM name plate.

Big Dave

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the prompt responses Michael and Big Dave. I suspected this was going to be the answer but still can't figure out why the swapped fabric looks as old as the car........... Your input is very helpful to my decision on which way to go next.
Jim
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 08:19 AM

In the old days they used to hunt and skin Naugas to get the material for diamond tuck interiors. I think in this case, as often happens within the house, the previous owner was out voted by she who must be obeyed when it came time to choose the material.

Big Dave
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 12:28 PM

Absolutely, 100% not original. My guess is that it is MUCH newer than the car. I'll be willing to bet it was done in the 80s. The rear seat speaker looks to be Oldsmobile or Buick.
Go back to original, it will look much better. CARS, Inc. makes a great interior.

1967 Chevrolet Impala SS convertible - Ermine White C1
1967 Chevrolet Impala SS 396 - Marina Blue FF
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 08:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
In the old days they used to hunt and skin Naugas to get the material for diamond tuck interiors. I think in this case, as often happens within the house, the previous owner was out voted by she who must be obeyed when it came time to choose the material.

Big Dave
LOL ... bit of a resurrected thread ... was searching for tuck/roll ...

SWMBO (pronouced SWAHMBO)

SWMBO here is down for the tuck/roll! probably a high-end vinyl?

Has anyone tried to put a fold-down console on the bench? I want to avoid the "rider" type.

1961 Impala. 4 door. 283, turbo 350. Imron Midnight blue metallic with silver stripe.

Photo Album
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page