66 Sail Panel Dome Light Wire routing - Impala Tech
Interiors Upholstery & Soft Trim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

66 Sail Panel Dome Light Wire routing

Hi all. New to the site, but tinkering with cars for over 40 years

I performed a search to the best of my ability on here and did not yield any results. Although it is possible my unfamiliarity with the site may have contributed.

What I am looking to find is a picture or description of the orange and white wires that run from the rear quarter sail panel dome lights and ultimately over to the door pin switches. As of now, I am not receiving 12v on the orange, but the rest of my interior courtesy lights are working just fine. In an effort to minimize how much of the car I have to take apart, I was hoping someone could tell me where the wires route to. Do I need to remove the headliner? Or, do they route down by the rear quarter panel?

I am borrowing a pic from another member. I hope he does not mind. But can someone tell me where these wires go from here? They appear to go up... Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 03:20 PM

Welcome to the Team!

I have not looked for your specific year car (as I haven't ever owned one), but for later models that information is well documented in the Fisher Body Service manual. Your model year used a 1961 or '62 manual, with 1963 and '64 getting a supplement to provide addendums for what changed. Older manuals may not have the info as that is about the first time courtesy lights became available in Chevys (wasn't an option in any of my many '55 cars, my '53 or my dad's '58).

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Welcome to the Team!
Big Dave
Thanks!

I tried to reference a later manual (I think for a 70) but it appeared to be too different. But I do have access to earlier manuals. Gives me something to try in the meantime. I appreciate the tip. If anyone else can chime in that would be appreciated too!

Car in question is a 66 Caprice.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

I spent part of the afternoon looking through various year assembly and service manuals. I didnt find anything specific except for one reference for a wagon. Wires ran along the passenger side rear quarter and over to the center over the trans tunnel up front. But that was to provide wiring to the rear cargo area and also, in part, for center console power.

I was hoping to avoid taking things apart but I guess I may have to tear into all of it this weekend.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 05:31 AM

66 Assmbly Manual

Here's a link to the 66 Assembly Manual, if you don't have this save it to your computer. There are some pages missing but look through the electrical sections:
http://toms427impala.info/CT/66assemblymanual.pdf

Paul Winvoices

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Figured it out. Posting for the sake of closure and future references for others.

While I can't verify that in 50 years my car has not been tampered with, I can say that mine routes as follows:

Dome light on sail panel wiring runs behind sail panel
down into/through the rear quarter interior panel
down under the rug and over to the front.

The rear quarter dome lights are fed via an orange power wire, and a white wire that completes the ground circuit when the door pin switches are activated.

At the front, the wires ultimately run up on the driver's side into a 2 wire connector just above the parking brake and floor courtesy lamp. It is from this connector that the rear quarter domes are powered. The orange wire feeds over into the battery terminal on the fuse box.

In my case the orange wire was damaged near this connector so I rewired everything and opted for an inline 5amp fuse. That restored functionality to my rear quarter dome lights.

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page