Bucket Seat Rebuild - Impala Tech
Interiors Upholstery & Soft Trim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Bucket Seat Rebuild

Hey guys, anybody replaced the foam in a bucket seat? I've done a complete interior in a '55 Bel Aire and it wasn't bad at all but can't remember if I did seat foam or just new covers. Anyway, the covers are reasonable and probably won't replace them but the seats are really "mushy". Local upholstery guy said he doesn't install new foam but rather builds up the seat with stuffing of some kind and ads new burlap, claims it's better than new foam. He want's $350 for the pair. Seat foam is cheaper but can a DIY'er get a reasonable looking job? Any thoughts appreciated. Bob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 10:34 AM

Try a different upholsterer. Some one who does marine work as he will have closed cell foam that is UL listed and Coast Guard approved as a flotation device. It will last the life of the car. He will need a good seat to copy the sculpture since he has to literally carve the seat cushion out of six inch thick sheets five foot wide and eight feet long (great for good nights rest if you camp in the back of your pick-up while hunting).

This all assumes you can not buy a molded foam replacement that will fit your seat from a Chevelle restore house or even an Impala restoration vendor.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Dave: I can get pre-cut foam from several vendors, I'm interested in knowing if this works well and has anybody had any experience with it. What threw me is that the upholstery guy said he doesn't like to do it that way but would prefer to build up the seat using jute or some other filler. Thanks!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 04:48 PM

Foam is used as it is softer. The foam used in a seat is an open cell and is not as supportive for most Americans today as it was back in the sixties. Your upholsterer is probably using Jute or Cocanut palm fiber as it will support more weight than the foam will. The marine closed cell PCV foam is stiffer, won't absorb fluids or odors and lasts forever if kept out of the sun.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page