Removing instrument cluster '70 impala - Impala Tech
Interiors Upholstery & Soft Trim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

Removing instrument cluster '70 impala

Hey all, I have a leak coming from up behind the dash drivers side, and I need to pull the dash
/ instrument cluster out. I have undone all the screws and bolts i can see, and the grounds and the cable for the adjustment on the auto gear selection gauge but something is still holding it in place. Seems to be free everywhere except around the gear selector. Do i need to drop the steering column to get in there?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 08:21 AM

Welcome to the Team!

Leak is transmission fluid being pumped up through the speedometer cable. Need to pull the cable and replace the O-ring seals. You can do that without pulling anything if you are flexible and small. It simply unscrews.

Big Dave
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Hi dave, its not fluid, its a water leak. I think from either around where the quarter panel joins the body, or from the cowl/ around the drivers side wiper somewhere. I had a new windscreen installed recently, just after purchasing the car, and the leak was there before that. I hoped the new screen would have fixed it, but the new carpet i installed was wet after the first rain

The dash cluster seems to be getting hung up on something around the middle, all the edges seem ready to come out

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 12:48 PM

There are two electrical connectors and the speedo cable to be disconnected.

If it only gets wet when it rains you need to pop the windshield wipers off their drive stubs and unscrew the cowl. Once it is cleaned out of old leaves and other trash you can see the top of the firewall cowl area, to see if you have rusted through there.

The other possibility is a bad seal at the bottom of the windscreen. This may not be the installers fault if the seal area has rusted away there is nothing to seal to and this is a fairly common problem area in wet environments like the deep south where rain fall is measured not in inches but in feet.

Big Dave
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

When i got the new windscreen installed i had him pull both front and back screens to check them, i am pretty confident they are good, so i will look at the wipers and cowl.
It was an oregon car, i purchased it there and shipped it over to hawaii.
I am also installing a new headliner. Looks like i will need to pull the rear screen again to do that properly, so if i have to i will just pull them both.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 06:59 PM

I responded to someone at another Chevy site just the other day and almost thought it was you, lol. I was telling him that the '69 and '70 Dash Cluster is no picnic. Yes, when I took the Dash Cluster out of a '69 Impala, I had to drop the steering column.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

I totally agree. It is no picnic at all. I think i will have to drop the steering column as well. Its turning into a much bigger job than i had hoped, as it always does. I have the whole interior out now, to recover and repaint it all, so at least its all happening at once.
I am an aussie, so am used to holdens and fords, this is my first chevy
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 10:25 PM

Chevys are well known to be easy to work on, but you are tackling one of hardest job I've ever worked on. From the 1953 to 1973 Full Sizes Chevy cars that I usually work on, the '69 and '70 Dash Cluster is definitely my least favorite.

By the way, did you discover the little trap doors that are hiding some of the screws?

Funny story I'll add in here. After I finished taking out the one I worked on, I went on one of the Impala sites to see what some of the members there had to say about it.

One of the replies was a story about a member's uncle. He said that he worked as a mechanic at one of the Chevy Dealerships when one day he got a work order for a '69 or '70 Dash. He said his uncle worked on it and worked on it and did not say a word to anyone, but once he finally finished, he put the paperwork down on the counter and told the service manager that if they ever give him another job like that, he would quit, lol.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page